Den Chiefs and Pack Campouts

Hi folks. Darboy got me thinking about a situation in our Troop. Two guys are going camping with a Cub Scout Pack and will serve as Den Chiefs. One Scout (Star) is officially a Den Chief, the other (Tenderfoot) is brother to one of the Cubs.

Not especially concerned about credit for the older scout since he is Star and also already has his camping merit badge. But, the Tenderfoot Scout? Should this campout count as credit toward activities for 2nd class? I'm not inclined to think so. What about nights camping for camping merit badge? I know he will pitch his own tent and help his Mom and brother with cooking dinner since his Mom really has no camping experience (that's one reason why Tenderfoot is coming along).

Your advice?

If the boy is generally very involved in the troop and You have seen him work well at campouts, then I would have no problem counting the campout. I would ask him questions about it.... what did you do... what were you able to teach the cubs... stuff like that. We had one young man that couldn't go to summer camp because he was going on a month long camping trip out west to hunt. He took pictures and wrote a journal so we counted it as his extended camp. Shoot it was more primitive than anything our troop likes to do!!! At the same time, we have had young men that are rarely involved and we've noticed that their mommy tends to do the work for them... those we need better documentation before we will accept something they say they've done. It might seem like it isn't fair between the boys, but we've aften talked about integrety and everything you do builds a picture of how people see you.

Mama Bear

Adv chair

I started a long thread about credits for camping nights required for the MB.

See camping& high Adventure/camping merit badge TOBAL

If the boys sleep in a tent, I don't see how you cannot count it for the MB. You're not the merit badge counselor so you opinion is really only your opinion.

Those Scouts are performing one of the greatest deeds a Boy Scout can do, and that is be a DC.

The 2nd clas req says troop/patrol activities. I don't think I would count that.

Look up the reqs for earning the DC rope. that has something there.

Though you have difficulty with the 2nd class req that young man deserves high praise and a pack howl(or cheer) and gratitude of ALL the cubs for his support of this event.

Make sure you facilitate his earing the rope, Point the way, have him do the work. The rope is worn until he is 18.

I think Den Chiefs are Great!!!!!!!

Mine I W stayed with the cubs for two years and is now their SPL.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Let me add that I, too, think Den Chief is a terrific position for a Boy Scout. Both of my sons have served. Older son (now in college) was a Den Chief for years and earned the Den Chief Award. Younger son (the Star Scout mentioned above) has been a Den Chief for a year.

The Tenderfoot Scout mentioned looks up to my son a great deal and has been calling himself "Den Chief for a weekend" since he's helping his younger brother's den. I see no harm in that really.

I agree that this campout is not a patrol or troop activity which is why I said I was inclinced not to count it toward 2nd class for the Tenderfoot Scout. Since, neither Scout has asked about this trip counting towards anything, I was just wondering if it ever came up with any of the forum members, and if so how you handled it.

In our troop, the SM has always been the counselor for camping merit badge. It's the only one I counsel.

Den Chief is an awesome position for a youth to hold. Unfortunately it seems to be seldom used. At least in our District. Having boys serve as Den Chiefs can not only help the Den Pack to succeed but can also help to get more boys into Boy Scouts. You may even be able to retain older boys if you give them this opportunity as a specialized opportunity. Wouldn't it be great if a 15 or 16 year old Eagle Scout served as a Den Chief?

I don't see an issue with the one boy calling himself a 'Den Cheif for a weekend' but I would approach him and ask him if he wanted to be a Den Cheif.

Listed below are the requirements for the Den Chief Service Award (the braids they can wear).

1. Serve the pack faithfully for 1 full year.

2. Attend a den chief training (if available within year of service) OR be trained by the assistant Cubmaster and den leader.

3. Know the purposes of Cub Scouting.

4. Help Cub Scouts achieve the purposes of Cub Scouting.

5. Be the activities assistant in den meetings.

6. Set a good example by attitude and uniforming.

7. Be a friend to the boys in the den.

8. Take part in weekly meetings.

9. Assist the den at the monthly pack program.

10. Know the importance of the monthly theme.

11. Meet as needed with the adult members of the den, pack or troop.

12. Complete FOUR of these projects:

a. Serve as a staff member of a Cub Scout special event, such as a Scouting show, bicycle rodeo, etc.

b. Serve as a staff member of a Cub Scout Day camp or resident camp.

c. Advance one Boy Scout rank.

d. Assist in recruiting three new Cub Scouts.

e. Assist three Webelos Scouts to join a troop.

f. Help to plan and carry out a joint pack-troop activity.

g. Recommend to your Scoutmaster another Boy Scout to be a den chief.

Taken from the Den Chief Handbook, always check for the most recent requirements.

The braids worn by Scouts while serving as a Den Chief is Blue & Gold or as a Webelos Den Chief (Red, Blue & Gold)

Each of these are worn over the left shoulder, (under the epaulet and under the arm). A Scout that has earned the Den Chief Service Award, and is serving as a Den Chief or Webelos Den Chief, may wear both braids.

Applause for scoutmasters counseling camping merit badge. He has to keep the records anyway of who was in attendance at each function and knows what goes on at the camp usually. It just makes too much sense for him to counsel that particular badge. Our scoutmaster usually ends up signing off on a lot of summer camp and other council function partials as well. All in favor of den chiefs could have used the help as a den leader especially with the physical games. Have sent my son to the training but the packs just don't seem interested. His former cubmaster told him to wait another year. This is a boy that has completed star but for BOR not a new scout.

2nd Class - NO

Camping MB - YES if sleeping in a tent

Aside from your original question, it would do wonders for the self confidence of these boys (& the future of the Den Chief program in your Troop & Pack) if the Pack & Troop would acknowledge their contribution to the Pack's Family Camp. I know you have no control over the Pack, but it would be GREAT if at the next COH the boys could be presented a simple certificate thanking them for their efforts as role models for your future Troop members.

One of the main reasons there are so few Den Chiefs is because few Troops will recognize their work. Many SM's feel there is no need for Den Chiefs at all & down-play (or badmouth) the whole program.

BTW - It does NOT matter if the Tenderfoot is an official Den Chief or not. He is a Boy Scout who is giving service at a Cub Scout function. He is also a Boy Scout who is a potential new Den Chief. How many of those do you see?

Neither is a boy a "Den Chief" by virtue of attending his little brother's campout. Den Chief is not a 1-day position.

You're right, it's usually not a short-term assignment.  However, he will be a "Den Chief" on this campout.  A Boy Scout who helps the Cubmaster and/or Den Leader with the Cub activities is by virtue a "Den Chief" for the duration that he performs his duties for the Pack.  I'm not aware of a minimum service time before you can call a Boy Scout a "Den Chief".

There is a Den Chief Service Award to encourage a minimum 1 year commitment to the Pack.

admin | IP: