Guidelines for Service Hours?

Acco40 wrote, "They do not have to be approved in advance."

This is not the case. From the Advancement Committee Guide, Policies and Procedures, p. 27 Service Projects last sentence under Star and Life Ranks: "The Scoutmaster approves the project before it is started."

SWScouter

FScouter,

I respectfully disagree. The sentence I cited is just one of a paragraph with the subject of the Star/Life service hours/project required for rank advancement. As you mention, another sentence states that the service can also be for assisting on an Eagle service project.

For those that don't have access to the document, the full paragraph is:

For Star and Life ranks, a Scout must perform six hours of service to others. This may be done as an individual project or as a member of a patrol or troop project. Star and Life service projects may be approved for Scouts assisting on Eagle service projects. The Scoutmaster approves the project before it is started.

SWScouter

I think FScouter is correct here. If a Star or Life candidate is going to help out on a service project that is being conducted by another Eagle candidate, then, yes, that project must be approved in advance by the SM. OTHER types of service opportunities that are pursued by those same Star and Life candidates do NOT need to be approved in advance. This is subject to unit protocols of course and the SM always has the final word

Fuzzy's parable is interesting but is applicable only in those cases where the SM has clearly set a policy against allowing service to count for two different organizations. There is no BSA prohibition against this practice and I see no reason for one. If the scout can identify a service opportunity that "kills two birds with one stone", I say good for him. As long as he is completely honest about the thing I don't see any dishonesty at all.

Of course, the SM has the final word on what is acceptable, and your unit may have a different policy.

I realize all things are not written down for a Scout/person/individual/SM/CC/MC/etc. to clearly identify what should and should not be done on service projects for Star and Life. I would still like to present one more thought experiment that has an operational definition and is more difficult to misconstrue.

Do a Good Turn Daily.

A Scout does a Good Turn on Monday that takes 7 hours. Although the Scout has down a yeoman's work, I suggest this Good Turn not be used to cover the remainder of the week. He should be congratulated for putting forth exceptional effort and it is noteworthy. The Scout will not receive a badge, will not go before a BOR, and it may never come up again. If he does decide that he has done his week's worth of Good Turn's based on Monday's GT, few will ever know. Heck, he may be the only one that knows.

If I were counseling with him, of course with other adults around, I would want to know how the Scout defines the Scout Slogan. The reason is that I want to know about the Scout's growth process in the most important area of Scouting. It is the most difficult part of Scouting. It is the part of Scouting that connects directly to a person's character. I not only want to know how he defines it but if he is continually thinking and struggling with it.

So, how does this apply to the Star and Life Service projects?

I would say that they are one and the same. As a SM, I would not want to tell the Scout what to do as much as I would want the Scout to think his way through the idea of Service. FB

My son used 14 hours volunteered to the local library for summer reading program documented by letter from the children's librarian 4 hours to complete his reading merit badge and 6 hours for his star requirements. He cannot count the 40 hours he volunteered at cub scout day camp as that benefited scouting. however the certificate from the day camp will remain in his portfolio just in case as it demonstrates scout spirit

I think double dipping has to be from the Scout Masters eyes. There are a lot of places where it would be ok, others a gray area, and others a NO WAY. One NO ONE comes to mind. Community Service because you did something stupid, and the police/courts got involved, and you end up cleaning/painting the local playground.

When I was going to night school to get my BA, I ended up taking two literature classes back to back. Both required 11 books to be read for the term. It turns out that the same instructor was teaching both courses and there was an overlap of 2 books. So I only had to read 20 books, not 22. The instructor didn't have me read an additional couple of books, but I had to sit through the overlapping books classes, since he taught different areas in the different classes.

Did he have a problem with my "double" dipping, heck no, he was amazed that I'd take such a heavy load. I got A's in both classes, mainly because these were english electives, and I was an English Major, and actually read the books, and knew what I was talking about.