New international opportunity - War of 1812

Our troop just got back from a camp that involves a re-enactment/battle from the war of 1812. It was held at Niagara-on-the-lake, Ontario, Canada. We had a ball, especially the boys. We had 5 troops from Michigan combine into one "company" for the battles. We decided to have one kitchen to feed all 5 troops. The boys got to have a different international experience. We leave early Friday morning so we can get set up and then we can take the boys to Niagara Falls (about 30 minutes away). THis was our third year going. THe Detroit troop was the first Michigan troop to go, and we added 3 new troops this year. The price of the event (about $40) includes the food. You go to the QM (of the camporee) to pick up your food and then you have to do the cooking. The food is great and plentiful. On Sunday, the boys got up and ate breakfast on the left overs before anyone remembered that we hadn't gotten our Sunday Breakfast box yet!!! The boys sign up and toast President McKinley on Friday evening... quite a Kodak moment. Our first year the boys used sticks as guns but they quickly decided to get the cap guns. The first 2 years, you go as militia and wear white shirts, black pants and a stock for the neck. After that you are suppose to make a uniform. I found a butterwick pattern that worked quite nicely.

For our boys it works especially well. They do a week of service camp at FOrt Mackinaw on Mackinac Island which is also 1812. We are also in touch with a group that might be developeing something at fort Detroit for 1812.

So it is good history, a good time and they get to see something new. Anyone within 7 hours of the event should really think about this as an event. I'm glad we did. If anyone is interested, contact Fort George website. http://www.scoutscan.net/ftgeorge/(This message has been edited by scoutmom111)

The toast the president that was in office during the war of 1812. Since it is a re-enactment, they sign up for the militia, and toast the president.

As to the cap guns, again it is a re-enactment that has been done for years between the British (Canadians) and the Americans. There is no danger as these are the same caps that are sold in the toy department. The main thing taught is to follow directions. SOmetimes that is harder on the Dad's that join in than it is on the boys. The adults think they see a way to "win this thing", but it doesn't count unless it comes from the leadership. THey have a series of commands that they have to give for the boys to be able to fire... like load powder, load ball, tamp it down... (don't yell at me if I get it wrong I was too busy taking pictures!!!) There are venture crew girls that fight as well, by the way.

That might be the difference. I know that when we went to Dorchester Canada, the boys were allowed to do a lot of things that we don't do in the states... mostly because of the cost of liability insurance. They were able to use ban saws, zip lines, walk on ropes 30 feet in the air... lots of stuff.

It is all scouts participating... and a few parents!!! The Canadians do a lot of 1812 re-enactiments. It's like our civil war thing. After all they weren't involved in our civil war **smile**. So the organizers are very good at putting this together. It is about 7 hours from Lansing. I know that there is a Detroit troop that goes. They leave after work and get there about 11:30 - midnight on Friday. You should check out the web site. I'd be glad to get you info on uniforms, rifles, etc if you'd like more.