How do you replace a Committee Chair?

Is there any action the Troop Committee can take if they feel the Chairperson is not meeting requirements, making decisions without committee involvement, etc.?

This question was raised in an ancient thread, so I thought I'd bring it up as a new topic on the program thread, eh?

I think a lot depends on the culture and practice of each individual unit and CO. A lot of units have a practice or bylaws where the CC is elected each year by the members of the committee, or serves for some other set term with a succession scheme. OTOH, some units have a "serve until dead, responsible for selecting and training your replacement before you die" thing goin'. Lots of in-between, too.

So I'd ask the original poster "What's been normal practice for this unit?" If it's a "serve until dead" unit, then the courteous and kind way to move a CC out is to "jostle and nudge." Have other people start takin' on parts of the role, gently signal it's time to move on, and give the person a promotion "up and out" with a big sendoff party.

Ultimately, the "big guns" are the COR and the head of the chartering organization, who can simply make the change over all objections. Usually, though, a good COR who is contacted by the SM and committee will come visit and gently participate in the "jostle and nudge." Problem is many units have weak CO relationships and paper COR's. That does allow a "serve until dead" CC to become a bit of a one-man dynasty. A good Unit Commissioner can sometimes play-act the COR role and help with the jostle and nudge in such a case.

Is there any action the Troop Committee can take if they feel the Chairperson is not meeting requirements, making decisions without committee involvement, etc.?

Being analytical and not the best politician I would

1) Clearly have a written set of "requirements" that both the committee, committee chair and COR feel are appropriate. Only then can one talk of not meeting the requirements.

2) Have your troop committee discuss or formulate how they want the decision process to work. There is nothing inherently wrong with making decisions without committee (or should I say, the rest of the committee) involvement. As a Scoutmaster, I make many decisions with out the SAs involvement.

I have to agree with Beavah, but I also have to ask the question:

"What reason is there to remove the Committee Chair?"

Some reasons demand action (malfeasance being the biggest one).

Some reasons demand training or retraining.

Some reasons are just simply personalities which do not mesh.

Of the three, only the first forces an issue; the others are how can we work through this?

It only takes one person to replace a committee chair. If the Chartered Organization Rep wont do it then one other person can do it by:

Talking to the current committee chair.

Getting all the necessary training.

Reading all the available scouting material.

Going on all the outings with the scouts.

Attending all the troop (pack) meetings.

Attending all the committee meetings.

Soon, that one other person will be the committee chair.