New to the Forum but not Scouts

Hello everyone, Ive followed the forums for a few years now and figured it was time to join.

I currently serve as Cubmaster at the Pack Level and as an ASM at the Troop level in Oklahoma. I've been involved in Scouting since my youth. I earned my Eagle in 86. I was away from Scouts for a few years when I served 8 yearsin the Marines. Ive been a Scout leader now for 6 years and plan to for quite some time. Partly because I have three sons in Scouts from Tiger to First Class, but mostly because Scouts made such an impact on my life as a youth and young adult.

- OKScouter

Hi OKScouter. Good to hear from you. Your comment got me thinking. I did a few years in the Australian Army. But I think that I learned about leadership, ethics and spirituality from my Scouting days. (I learned techniques from Army training but the basis of leadership I learned in Scouts).

What do you refer to when you write that Scouting had an impact?

The short version is... I was (still am) dyslectic... but back then they didnt know what that was. Scouts was the only outlet I had that allowed me to excel. (I also really enjoined the outdoor thing) From a shy (dumb) little boy to Eagle and beyond.

I learned more practical leadership skills in Scouts than in my eight years in the Marine Corps. I remember a time in Marine Corps land navigation training that I ended up teaching the 5 or 6 guys with my, they asked how I learned about maps and reading a compass.. Hmmm How did I learn that skill?

That is what I meant by an impact.

- OKScouter

• 2 weeks later...