Who should organize district camporees?

Our troop has been charged with planning, organizing, and running the fall Webelos Woods camporee. We're having a lot of fun with it and we expect it to be a success.

In our district, the individual troops always seem to rotate responsibility for the spring Camporee and fall Webelos Woods. This seems to work well enough, but I am wondering how these types of events are handled in other districts? These are ~500 person events with $4,000 budgets.

The OA chapter would seem to be an ideal choice to run these events. Or, I would think that is what the district committee would be for. Who orgnizes these events in your district?

One person is the "Camporee Chair".

He/she works with the DE and the OA to organize the skeleton of the Camporee. (NB: this is not what we call the Webelos Weekend, which is a seperate affair).

Usually, along with the "special" stuff ( climbing wall, black powder muskets, etc.), the CCh asks each Troop to sponsor/organize an activity that can be purely fun or Scout oriented. Some past "Stations" have included frisbee golf, an orienteering course, a nature trail/scavenger hunt, a pioneering contest, matchless fire building, archery.

Not all Troops sponsor a "station". I guess someone has to be left over (and not march) to WATCH the parade!

In most councils I've been involved in, the District Camporee (and other District events) are planned and organized by the District Camping/Activities Committee. This does not preclude them calling upon unit-level scouts and scouters to help out, or getting the local OA Chapter to have a function.

My District works the same way as emb021 said theirs does. We have one person who is generally in charge and they come up with the ideas and plan it and then ultimately run it. Ideas and such need to be approved by the Activities Committee/Program Chair on the District Committee. This is how our fall camporee runs and most of the time this is how our winter Klondike runs. Occasionally (like this year) a Troop takes on the responsibility for running the Klondike. I might suggest this for the future. Might lead to some more ownership in the camporee. We have, on average, a very low attendace rate to the fall camporees given the fact that we are a very large district. Occasionally (like this year) we also have Troops run stations on a topic and there is a competition between Troops for who can to the best. It winds up being a little subjective since each Troop usually has a different topic and it can be hard to compare. I do not think in the past 8 or 9 years we have ever had the OA involved in planning or running a fall camporee. Not a bad idea.

I am looking at putting together a big district camporee in the spring to have a big crossover ceremony for the Webelos. I may be asking the OA to help with that for the ceremony aspect.

In our district, Cub Scout Family Weekends are organized by the Packs with help from the Commissioner Staff. The responsibility for chairing the event rotates among the packs or may fall to the Commissioner Staff. On the BS side, the annual Klondike Derby is led by a scouter from a troop. Its a 2 yr committment. Responsibility rotates btwn troops.