Yes, something should be done, but I don't think that it needs to be anything too drastic. Perhaps as mentioned, the CC or COR should request that the CM review YP training with an emphasis on the fact that such behavior is not appropriate for Scouting activities.

Now, having said that, I am all about having fun, but I am also a self-appointed "anti-wedgie activist". Yes, in certain locations and under certain conditions I might be able to see humor in this activity, except for the case of my friend Brian; when we were 12 years old he was down by the creek waiting for me to show up. He encountered some High Schoolers, one of whom gave him the ever dreaded atomic wedgie. Now theres more to the story, but Ill spare you the gruesome details. Suffice it to say, that a stay at the hospital was involved because of that wedgie.

Needless to say, wedgies are not allowed under any circumstances when I am present. If a wedgie is attempted; all involved are subject to the above story about Brian. Depending on who the audience is; theyll even get the details. Your CM would have gotten all the gruesome details if Id have been there.

ASM59

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes, I just can't resist...

There are some obviously deep-seated concerns here. I will try not to make any wise cracks, but clearly the issue is not black or whitey (or even brown for that matter). The CM is definitely way behind the 8-ball on this one and G2SS has reared its ugly head again. I appreciate CNYS airing this unit's dirty laundry for all of us. It definitely gets me thinking out of the box or under wearever. While the crime may not be as hanes as some may say, still it stretches the bounds of appropriate behavior. Many moons ago, it may have been okay, but now he may appear on a wanted poster ior worse. It is easy to jump to conclusions, butt ocksing more questions will certainly help us get to the bottom of the issue.

Thong you very much for tolerating me.

I agree with your analysis Semper, whenever a person stretches this scenario to its natural limits, something will finally snap. It will be then that we discover what truly is at the bottom of the whole enchilada. On a lighter not, I scanned the G2SS for any hint of Wedgie hazing or Wet Willying or even your basic Moon Pie Glowing but I came up with nothong. I truly hope this CM doesnt go to jail for wedgieing. II like to hope that there is room for growth.

I'm coming in late to this discussion, but I find great agreement with all that has been said.

When my son became a Cub, I discovered to my surprise, that the Pack turned Cubs upside down to award the Bobcat. I told them not with my son. And not any more to any other boy. The parents had no idea about the problems and risks involved. Physical injury ( what if some one slips?), psycological trauma, the example of a small 'hazing' making larger 'hazings'seem OK (initially they didn't see this as 'hazing', only good ole boy ribbing taken to a lower level), public humiliation even in "good fun".

Where was the celebration of the boys accomplishment? and why defame it in this way for no real purpose? If you want to see humiliation done for a purpose, check with your local Marine DI. They've got purpose!

Wedgies can be harmful, even physically and emotionally ("ahh we didn't mean any harm"). It is a form of bullying, and has no place in Scouting.

I think that CM needs to consider the words of that great country western philosopher Dierks Bentley:

"What was I thinking?"

"Had this taken place in a public park and was witnessed by a police officer, in most jurisdictions, the CM would have found himself being taken away in handcuffs in front of the Cubs, even if the 14-year old protested that it was just a goof. This is an adult assaulting a minor, whether charges are pressed or not, and even if done "in a spirit of fun". A 14-year old boy can't consent to being assaulted, and neither can his parents. If witnessed by a police officer, no complaint by the boy or his parents need to be filed - the police officer becomes the complainant."

I simply don't believe that this is true. Given the facts as we have been given them, I don't believe a cop would have broken up this group and arrested the CM. Furthermore, I question whether this was "assault," especially if it was consented to. It is not per se unlawful for an adult to touch a child. Heck, it can even be legal to strike a child with a weapon--i.e., the fencing teacher I had at camp one summer. To clarify further, this could have been an unlawful assault, but it probably wasn't--which still doesn't mean that it was appropriate. I just don't think it should be overstated.