So what specifically would you add and what to delete?

I am a new Cub Scout Leader, so I have no experience with WB, but I have to say judging from seeing some pics of WB on Scout websites and from stories, that the skits and songs part seem to be extremely dated IMO.

But even when I went to OCS (officer candidate School - Army) we had to sing dumb songs and such, so maybe there is some sort of hidden leadership quality in that type of activity that I am missing..

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"His 4th Ticket item was to "post my personal thoughts about how to modernize Scouting."

His 5th Ticket item was to "promote my website nationally through forums and letters to the leadership."

I hate to ask what his other 3 items were. I wonder how these two ticket items are SMART and relate to his vision for his current position in his unit. "

I didn't see his ticket items being posted, but I have to wonder as well, having been a TG/CC. My own criteria is that ones ticket should take between 6-18 months to complete. If one has most/all of the ticket done before 6 months, I would find it unusual. And, of course, 18 months is the deadline. I believe on another thread he claimed to have complete 4 of the 5 items in a month or so. Don't see how that could be possible. None of the people in my patrol could have done that, just due to the nature of their items.

Also, how are these measured? How can they be defined as being completed.

In our council, we want WB participants to do ticket items to be related to their current role, with one being tied to diversity. Some of the typical items deal with things like additional training, pushing/achiving new things in their role, etc. All can be verified as being done (get the training, doing FOS presentations, kids earning awards, unit doing activies, etc). None can be done sooner then 6 months or so.

The first person in my patrol to complete his ticket got it done in about 8 months and really pushed to do this. But he had a reason: he was moving out of the area and wanted to complete it before he moved. Another patrol worked their tickets so they all got beaded at the same time, about a year after the course was over.

Brianbuf,

I agree the uniform needs some change, maybe other parts of the program too. I didn't have to learn Morse Code, but I did have to earn a merit badge to become a Tenderfoot. Many new Merit badges have been added since I earned my Eagle Scout award.

When you volunteer to go someplace (woodbadge) and they say to wear the full uniform, WEAR IT! I bet you knew in advance what the uniform would be before you arrived. Hat, shirt, green belt, the same green pants that everyone else wears, dark socks and shoes, not the Brianbuf unorm of the pants of his choosing. Do you like football? How would it be if your favorite quarterback or lineman showed up in baggy blue jeans because he thought it was roomier than the skin tight pants they are made to wear?

Maybe the staffers comments about "hey, nice pants" was meant as a jab at you, much like saying "nice socks" to a guys who isn't wearing any socks. It's not up to Brianbuf to set his own uniform standard, that's why it's called a uniform - one form. Maybe a better ticket item might have been to help influence National about a newer uniform design or to volunteer to sit on the uniform board or collect real data from the field. I'd like to see a return to the green shirt, green pants, color background in office badges, smaller collars, (Elvis has left the building), etc. Let's bring back Skill Awards while we're at it. But you can't do it alone.

Man, get with the program, good leadership sometimes comes from good followership. Set a good example and wear the right stuff, soon you'll be the right stuff.

Before you mention it, I'm sure you'll accuse me of attacking you. I'm not, remember, I'd like to see change too, but not by myself. You know, there are cargo pants that zip off that are made of cotton or a cotton / poly blend that would be great. Same for a shirt. Many kids and adults already wear this type of clothing maybe that would work if National could contract with a supplier aafter a field test.

Gonzo1

(Eagle Patrol, Woodbadge SR 59)

"Elvis has left the building." (in regards to shirt collar size)

I say the same thing every time my boy is running half dressed to get in the car five minutes before Scouts starts. (Takes two minutes to get there but we have to cross an exceedingly dangerous road, that's why the car.)

I asked said scout what he would change.

Uniform: Keep the tan shirt only for special stuff and wear a polo.

Merit badges: They're fun.

Advancement: It's OK.

Outings: I like them. (His troop camps every month except July/August)

Well what would you change, boy? "I like it the way it is."

Most of the boys who participate like it the way it is. Isn't the program for the boys?

What would I change as an adult? Mostly the idiotic paperwork. I hate having to file a separate form for every different position one of our volunteers holds. We have some people in our troop registered in the Pack, Troop, Crew, as an MBC, and as a district volunteer. Why can't the form have multiple check boxes for multiple positions? And why can't I file a simple addenda form instead of filling out the whole thing over again? Why can't I retrieve a volunteer's current form off a database when they switch levels or move? I actually had a dad ask me couldn't I just get his old info electronically. He had no idea that was simply not possible.

And Kindergarten cubbies? Please. Many kindergarteners still need a nap. Pushing them into lessons, practices, and now scouts turns normal five year olds into stressed out bundles of nerves. But, hey, more cute little popcorn sellers.

BSA has had a red polo shirt for years, but I have NEVER seen anybody wear it. I think it might be best to change the material, cut (style) and design of the shirt. Columbia and many other outfitters have active shirts that could be adapted.

Gonzo, I have some pictures of me doing high cope wearing my red BSA activity shirt/uniform this summer. It's your basic polo shirt. The material, cut, and style are fine. It's pretty similar to any other polo shirt you might buy.

I'd wear it more often but for scouts, I'm usually either wearing the field uniform or the troop's own activity shirt (troop T-shirt) instead.

SWScouter