I just wanted to post how proud I was of my boys in the troop for participating with the local VFW last Monday in a flag retirement ceremony in commemoration of the fifth anniversary of 9/11. I was concerned with how they would act and if they would be respectful and solemn as they participated.

They were excellent! The ceremony was very good and we received several compliments from the members of the VFW that participated telling us how well behaved the boys were and what a wonderful job they did.

A lot of people in today's world say that kids, especially teenagers, have no respect for this country and the sacrifices people have made for this country. I was happy to show the people that have fought for this country that Scouts, in general, and my scouts in particular, do have respect for the country, for the flag and for the people that have sacrificed for their country.

I can say that in my first year as SM, this is one of my proudest moments!

Bill

Your Scouts had a positive feedback from the Flag Ceremony because they were doing a community service for their country. Adults like to know that even young people today can and know how to respect the flag of our country.

My Scouts make me proud too because of their respect and dignity for the flag and our country.

Ditto.

My guys put out some 350 flags on Monday, all along the two main routes through town.

They have a very strong sense of the sacrifices that those before them have made for this country and that some of them may be called upon to make such sacrifices.

This comes up, not only in terms of flag ceremonies, but in citizenship discussions. It still blows my mind that most 18-21 year-olds don't bother to vote. I remember the sacrifices made by those young men in Vietnam and the arguments that they can fight and die for our country, but they can't vote for its leaders.

The boys in my troop love doing flag ceremonies. I think that teenage boys, at least those in scouting, often have more respect for what the flag stands for than do many adults. I never worry about how my boys will treat the flag either in public or in private. They know how/what to do, they train each other, and execute without any adult intervention.

Regarding voting, one of my sons will be turning 18 in October. He double-checked the date of the next election with me. His comment: "Good! I'll be able to vote." He registered to vote last spring and has been looking forward to doing his civic duty. Maybe we should include an emphasis on voting as part of our citizenship message.