One hour a week is a lie!

stevjb ... a scout is trustworthy ... so 1 hour a week is not a lie ... it's just that we never let them finish their sentence. I found out that the whole sentence actually reads:

It only takes 1 hour a week ....... for each scout!

1Hour

That's why I love the name! One thing though, it's one hour/week/scout for those who care, such as many of the folks on this forum as well as in your troop, district, and council! Otherwise, it's truly one hour a week! That's why folks like you inspire me from time to time when I feel that what I'm doing is not worth it.

:)

By the way, Steve, great blog! Congrats on the great scouting adventure!

YIS,

1Hour

"But why have you had (or choose) to be the SM for 25 years? Seems like another adult leader would want a crack at it?"

It has been by choice, mostly. I have enjoyed being the scoutmaster, most of the time. I started with the troop as an assistant when I was nineteen, become scoumaster after turning 21, and have been the scoutmaster ever since. It has become part of my regular routine and life. I should also mention that I am single and can put the time toward it. I have often joked that if I ever married I would probably have to give up my Scouting and my Star Wars collection.

Our troop is in a small rural community of 3200. No one has ever wanted the job of scoutmaster. All of the assistant scoutmasters over the years have stated they do not want the job. It boils down to if I quit, Scouting would probably die in town. We are having trouble right now keeping a 3 member committee so I do not foresee me retiring in the near future.

I hope that at least patially answered your question.

There was one other thing. Ever since I saw the movie "Follow Me Boys" when I was 24 years old, I thought it would be quite an accomplishment to be a scoutmaster for twenty years, so it was a bit of a goal, but not one I really thought I would achieve. I never intended to be scoutmaster for the same troop for twenty five years.

A new Scout leader arrived at her first training session. She was told about all of the duties for her specific job. She scratched her head as she asked herself how it would be possible to do her job in one hour per week. So, timidly she raised her hand and asked the question. The trainer merely laughed and moved on. Later she returned home and asked her husband how she could get it done in one hour per week given the long list. He didn't know the answer either. So, she took her problem to her minister who was supposed to know all of the answers to all of the mysteries of life and the universe. She could only scratch her head as well. So she decided that she would go to her God in prayer about this issue. After scratching his head, God told her that she could probably do it in one hour per week but it would be lousy.