why is scouting shrinking? visit www.savescouting.org

I am normally against national multi-media recruiting campaigns but in the spirit of thinking out of the box, here goes:

We get Eagle Scout Steven Spielberg to direct a Superbowl commercial. (I know Steve has issues with the BSA right now, but work with me)

We show famous Eagle Scouts talking about how Boy Scouts helped them and maybe a few famous Life for Lifers who talk about how they wish they were scouts. Then in the final 20 seconds or so we have a montage of scouts doing whitewater, rapeling, climbing, hiking in the Grand Canyon, Horseback riding in Philmont, Canoeing the Boundary Waters maybe even a flash of AO dancers. We set the music to a rousing John Williams score so rousing and hip that it rises to number 7 on the AT40 list as an instrumental.

Youth by the thousands come to pack, troop and crew meetings expecting high adventure and thrills and youth lead units only to get it with troop by-laws and restrictions on who can do what when and "we don't do that here" attitudes. Youth find the troops that Campcrafter's son quit. The youth that find true youth lead units with enthusiastic there for the youth adults would do quite well, units with adults who want to be in charge and do the program they want would be exposed. I guess the real question is after such a media blitz, how would your unit, Disitrct, Council fare? Are you delivering the promise the commercial would make?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, since we all know of at least a few units that would not hold up to this type of scrutiny, what would be the preliminary action to ensure each troop would be prepared to receive recruits with a factual perception of scouting? Not every troop can meet the needs of every boy, so SM's would have to be honest about who would do best in which troop, but otherwise, how to help obviously lacking troops raise to the scouting standard? Do you think the districts or councils these troops are in just don't care, don't have the resources to help, or what? Just curious.

How about this:

We combine many, but not all of the suggestions in this thread, update uniforms, or return to green shirt green pants, mayber better materials, zip off pants, whatever, more colorful patches, update merit badges, etc. We get Spielberg to do the TV commercial with interviews or comments made by famous Eagle Scouts and also make an exteded version to be put on a DVD for use at round ups and recruiting drives, presentations to potential new chartered organizations and to give to the public in general. Each TV ad and DVD could have BSA's website on it where potential new members could enter their zip code for the concil nearest to them, or a toll free phone number and get transfered to the nearest council.

Round up is a valuable tool to get new members, but maybe some of the round up (and FOS) presenters are not good at public speaking. By the way, there is a Public Speaking merit badge, 5 requirements and one of them is to give a 10 minute speech. Hmmm, boys could help recruit more boys, now that's and idea.

By the way, keep the neckerchiefs. Many units have their own neckerchiefs and traditions with them. When I joined boy scouts, the new scouts was issued a plain, light blue neckerchief, but when he earn Tenderfoot, he traded in the plain one for one customized with the troop patch sewn to it. it was very cool.

Maybe National could have a representative participate in some of these online discussions, maybe host some or have regional conferences about some of these items.

Gonzo1

Maybe in well run troops using patrols and having adults around only for safety and sanity checks, there isn't a problem. Perhaps the reason enrollment is declining is from general societal ennui and the increasing social isolation many experience. Perhaps too many adults get frustrated with boy run units, take over, and the boys turn off mentally, just like in English class. Perhaps it is because Scouts is frequently seen as an exclusive, white, middle class activity obsessed with earning ranks and badges, not as a dynamic organization meant to develop boys physically, morally, and ethically through a vigorous outdoor adventure program.

I saw five grade school rec league football teams practicing. All were nearly completely African American in composition. Each had about five dads very patiently explaining plays, placing the boys in position, walking them through. Those dads are football volunteers because that's what they know. Ask my Eagle Scout husband to be a football coach, and he would say, "Do you want the kids to survive, let alone win?" He wants to be an ASM in the worst way, but his military career just doesn't allow it right now. He'd be short changing the boys.

What's my point? Many of us don't like to step out of our comfort zones, whether that is in food, clothes, careers, hobbies, or Scouting. How can BSA convince more adults and boys to step out of thier comfort zones? It isn't by relying on a NASCAR theme or some other advertising gimmick.

I FORGOT ABOUT THE SPEAKING MERIT BADGE - AND THAT'S PART OF MY JOB - have some boys speaking at a roundtable and they have either already finished or just finished their communications. This one's a no-brainer.

We have mentors for our youth, either as SM's, ASM's, DL's, ADL's, A's, AA's, merit badge councilors, consultants, and more.

What mentoring program do we have for the adults? Why isn't each new unit started with the assistance of a mentor who ensures the spirit of scouting shines through? Why doesn't this mentor check on each pack, troop, team, or crew in BSA on a regular schedule, at times contacting random youth and parents for a "snapshot" of the unit's performance?

If, from what I am understanding, a measurable percentage of you think the ultimate reason for the participant decline rests with adult leadership, what is being done to ensure leadership worthy of the BSA emblem?

I think we have been looking at this all wrong! Why is Scouting shrinking? Too much water! We make our Scouts take showers on campouts so they smell pretty! There are a half dozen or so water related merit badges, two which are Eagle required! We are washing dishes three times a day on campouts! We camp in the rain!

If we eliminate all the water, maybe Scouting wouldn't shrink!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I like OGE's comment about making a Super bowl commercial.

Since in most cases it would be considered false advertisement, we should show them real Scouting...

Instead of kids sitting around bored while adults shout at everyone about their shirttails hanging out and not acting like Scouts, we have Scouts shouting at adults for not acting like Leaders.

or

We could show them the highlights of a real adult lead Scout Unit.

or

We could show them hints and tips on advancement short-cuts.

or

We could have a little clip concerning the 3 G's.

Seriously, we would be hard pressed to do anything other than give an overview of what Scouting could be. The thing I like about Scouting is that in so many cases we do make it what we want it to be, that is the boys make it what...

FB

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone see this weeks BusinessWeek Magazine? There is an article on how out of shape and fat we are as a nation. It reported that involment in outside activities are down and cited people playing tennis (adults and kids) is down 30% in the last 15 years or so, and other activities as much as 60% in the same time period.

What it seems to suggest is simply that perhaps people, kids and adults, may not be quite as busy as we generally preceive them to be. They are making time for the activities that interest them. My entire goal is to help repackage the scouting program (not changing the values) to be something that appeals to kids and parents of today.

My dentist, of all people, was discussing this with me not too long ago as he had been to Woodbadge 2 years ago. One of his tickets included reading the bio or auto bio of Lord Powell. My dentist said that upon finishing that book he concluded the scouting program of today is far from what Lord Powell had envisioned. He did not elaborate as my cavity was filled and he went to the next patient. But next time I will quiz him as he is active in his troop.

Did anyone see this weeks BusinessWeek Magazine? There is an article on how out of shape and fat we are as a nation. It reported that involment in outside activities are down and cited people playing tennis (adults and kids) is down 30% in the last 15 years or so, and other activities as much as 60% in the same time period.

What it seems to suggest is simply that perhaps people, kids and adults, may not be quite as busy as we generally preceive them to be. They are making time for the activities that interest them. My entire goal is to help repackage the scouting program (not changing the values) to be something that appeals to kids and parents of today.

What this suggests is people aren't as physically active as they should be, nothing more. People are probably over scheduled more mow than ever. Both parents working. Little Johnny needs a ride to school then has band practice after school then home to eat dinner then study then off to Scouts. Dad has a meeting at church & mom needs to bake two dozen cupcakes for Little Johnnies school bake sale. Way less activity but a way busier schedule.

Less physical activity doesn't necessarily translate to being less busy. Just less physically busy. Repackaging Scouting won't change anything.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Brian, I have no idea why you post here. I have serious reservations about your committment to the Boy Scout program. Your last posting has such an egregious error in it, I question you actually know anything about Boy Scouting, its history and its aims. Your missteps about Wood Badge patrol names and mis spellings about scouting were puzzling, but the latest one tells me you have zero knowledge about the history of the program.

(Some crack about a fellow scouter, taken out by OGE)

"but the latest one tells me you have zero knowledge about the history of the program. "

OldGreyEagle, unsure what I said that caused this line. I mentioned my dentist made some comments about Lord Powell. I myself did make any references to the history of any program.

My motivation for this lastest post is that several people on this thread have defended the huge decline in enrolment as simply kids are just more busy today than ever before. When BusinessWeek came out and said essentially that kids are doing less in some areas like Tennis and other activities I thought it was relavent to this discussion. As I said before, kids will make time for what they like. Lets make scouting good enough, appealing enough, to be something most main stream kids want to do long term. That is why I am posting here :) (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

You did it again, That's two posts in a row that tells me you have no idea about Boy Scouts. I may be being priggish about this and if so, I accept but the error you are making is incomprehensible to me that it is made by someone who took Wood Badge and proclaims he is out to save scouting.

I agree with you that the program could/should be changed. Changes to the program are not that uncommon, but I think the changes should be proposed by at the very least someone who understands the program and doesnt flame boy scout forum pages.

I once had to correct a poster who claimed to be a great intellectual and historian who totally misrepresented how WWI started, I find you to be in the same category. Dont worry, I wont be responding to you anymore and would hit the ignore button but as a moderator I cant and I find I will have to read your posts closer to see what other errors you make.

OGE,

You are 100% correct. Brian seems to think if the BSA changes to snazzy uniforms & cool catch phrases the kids will come in droves. And in an attempt to further prove his lack of understanding, he quotes an article in a business magazine that says kids don't play outside like they use to & Brian thinks they have all the time in the world on their hands. That's sorta like saying I can't have anymore payments due, cause I'm out of payment coupons!

I'd hit the ignore button myself but Brian's post are actually good reading! I love looking for the typos & incorrect assumptions! Sorta like playing "Where's Waldo?"

Ed Mori

Troop 1

brianbuf- it would really help if you got the name of our Founder right. Its "Lord Baden-Powell", NOT "Lord Powell".

I also wonder what book your dentist read. I've read Bill Hillcourt's excellent "Two Lives of a Hero". I would NOT conclude that todays scouting is far from what he envisioned. A couple of excellent resources is getting copies of B-P's "Scouting for Boys" (reprints can be found. The best is Hillcourt's 'World Brotherhood edition') or his 'Aids to Scoutmastership' (again, look for Hillcourt's 'World Brotherhood edition'). I have those, and I don't feel that today's scouting is a far cry from what B-P envisioned.

I think you would benifit from reading these works, however.