why is scouting shrinking? visit www.savescouting.org

I don't know SW ... I'd thought that my spiel appropriately dredges out the necessary hole in the conversations! Alright, one thing that I will have to apologize ... I forgot to call out for ... "high water pant!" Right, Semp?

OGE, I think that SW's comment was every bit auger this topic; as a matter of fact, it even keeps us riveted!

Play on words ... it's for for the faint of heart! :)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OneHour, I can dig it. Is there space for me to throw in my two bits?

What I'd love to see the BSA do is to start a national marketing campaign geared toward improving it's image among the youth. I think it would really help for the BSA to sell itself. Imagine an ads for boy scouts and venturers during, e.g., the Superbowl. How about some on MTV or whatever music channels the youth are watching these days.

SWScouter

Oh too seriously cool SWScouter. Could you imagine adds somewhat along the lines of the marine corp recruiting spots, with an MTV/VH1 twist? Completely disregarding how that would help our recruitment efforts, could you just imagine the massive morale booster that would give scouts across the country.

My son still loves the plug in one of Brad Pitts' international spy movies with Sean Connery when Connery asks Pitt where he learned to shoot like that (expert sniper) and Pitt looks so innocently shocked when he replies, "scouting, Sir."

Two words. Imagine 20 seconds.

Thanks OGE - My son saw this on his way out the door to school this morning, and I got the most disgusted "how pathetic you are" look with the eye roll and all. How could I be confused by something as simple as a movie? That was right before the innocent blink and the "can I have lunch money?" with the outstretched palm act. So wise one second, so clueless the next.

Super Bowl Advertising is around $2.5 million for less than 30 seconds I believe, it might be hard to come up with that kind of cash.

But the intent of the idea is good, to show some of the high adventure things that most kids are going to have a hard time doing on there own.

I was just thinking about this problem today. Start a team of seasoned scouters to help orginize local units. It would take a team of 3-10 with a goal to recrute train and offer guidence for new units. Each district or council could have teams for Packs Troops and Crews. Scouting was always a grass roots program, find a location kids and willing parents then let the proram start. Promotioin is 2/3 motion!

Wow, this is what I am talking about.

"My son still loves the plug in one of Brad Pitts' international spy movies with Sean Connery when Connery asks Pitt where he learned to shoot like that (expert sniper) and Pitt looks so innocently shocked when he replies, "scouting, Sir."

Two words. Imagine 20 seconds. "

Forget Bobwhites and Moose, this type of message would resonate with most mainstream boys!

2.5 million is really nothing from a national budget. Heck, one website said the president of scouting is paid 900,000. Of course I don't know that, but I do know our local guy made 110,000 per the local paper. Running all the campgrounds and programs is a huge tens of millions of dollars per year undertaking. Huge programs. 2.5 is a very small percent of what an organization of this size goes through a year. Might seem big to an average American, but 2.5 million is very doable for huge national organizations. But chances are the BSA, if they sought it, could get lots of Public Service Announcments (PSA's) or donated or sponsored media time.

The point is that the above message from a movie that would be seen as cool, would make Scouting seem useful and cool. Not of course, to be an assasin but to be a marksman.

wow 900K?

makes me wonder why I have to drag the kids down to my local Kroger and sell popcorn if they are paying that kind of dough, I would think $250,000 would be more than enough to get a qualified "scouts" President.

Something else I would like to see is for some of the high adventure stuff to make its way to the Discovery Channel and some of the other outdoor networks on cable.

If our president is making $900,000 / year, I fully expect him to get to work on this...

Wow, this is what I am talking about.

"My son still loves the plug in one of Brad Pitts' international spy movies with Sean Connery when Connery asks Pitt where he learned to shoot like that (expert sniper) and Pitt looks so innocently shocked when he replies, "scouting, Sir."

Two words. Imagine 20 seconds. "

Forget Bobwhites and Moose, this type of message would resonate with most mainstream boys!

2.5 million is really nothing from a national budget. Heck, one website said the president of scouting is paid 900,000. Of course I don't know that, but I do know our local guy made 110,000 per the local paper. Running all the campgrounds and programs is a huge tens of millions of dollars per year undertaking. Huge programs. 2.5 is a very small percent of what an organization of this size goes through a year. Might seem big to an average American, but 2.5 million is very doable for huge national organizations. But chances are the BSA, if they sought it, could get lots of Public Service Announcments (PSA's) or donated or sponsored media time.

The point is that the above message from a movie that would be seen as cool, would make Scouting seem useful and cool. Not of course, to be an assasin but to be a marksman.

Movies quotes to promote Scouting! That will fix everything!

"Leave the gun take the cannoli"

Would help promote cooking!

"Say hello to my little friend."

Helps promote recruiting!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I should clarify a couple things.

The president I believe is a volunteer position. I was talking about the Chief Executive. I found the 900,000 amount on a website that was actually very unfriendly to scouting so I did not list it but should have. The $900,000 claim is on www.scoutingforall.com which promotes things I do not agree with. My point is not about who goets paid what. Top CEO's do make a ton of money. So be it.

My point is that TV advertisiments are not that expensive in the whole scope of things, and that you can get free or sponsored or discounted ones if they really wanted it.

My point is that TV advertisiments are not that expensive in the whole scope of things, and that you can get free or sponsored or discounted ones if they really wanted it.

Advertising on the local cable channel might be inexpensive but national advertising is expensive. Sure it can be sponsored. But is it cost effective? Maybe not, but you could have catchy quotes!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

The best way to recruit new scouts is by scouts inviting a friend (and parent) to a meeting or outdoor activity (other than campout due to registration and insurance reasons).

When the friend experiences quality scouting, he'll WANT to join.

Gonzo1

"The president I believe is a volunteer position. I was talking about the Chief Executive. I found the 900,000 amount on a website that was actually very unfriendly to scouting so I did not list it but should have. The $900,000 claim is on www.scoutingforall.com which promotes things I do not agree with. My point is not about who goets paid what. Top CEO's do make a ton of money. So be it. "

You 'believe' the BSA President is a volunteer position?

FYI, yes the National President of the BSA is an elected volunteer position, just like your Council President is an elected volunteer position.

The Chief Scout Executive is a paid position. I am not sure how much. There are sites (like guidestar) that will provide that info. I've seen 'discussions' regarding his pay on other forums. What he is being pay is, I understand, in line with the pay of Executive Directors (which is what the CSE is) of other non-profit organizations of the size of the BSA. Comparing his pay to the CEOs of for profit companies is a mistake. The pay of ED does not get close to the pay of many CEOs. They don't get 'tons of money'.