2011 World Jamboree--Is it planned for Rinkaby Sweden???

In May 2004 the World Scout Bureau called on National Scout organizations (NSO) to host the 2011 World Jamboree, the deadline was July 25 2004.

From the applications received the World Scout Committee brought before the conference the following invitations:

Australia.

Japan.

Singapore.

Sweden.

Sweden was chosen. The proposed dates are July 29 - August 7, 2011

The theme is: "Join the camp within the camp"

Details can be found at:

http://www.jamboree.scout.se/

At this time all the information is in Swedish.

Yes it is official.

I attended Nordjamb and we had HOHO (Home Hospitality) in Sweden. It's a wonderful country.

Eamonn.

Cool! I love Sweden. Gotta start talking with my son about maybe going (and saving our pennies!) now. For those who don't read Swedish - yes, there's info on the web site but it doesn't say much anyway. Looks like they're holding a national jambo in Rinkaby in 2007 which is expected to have very strong attendance.

And now for a very basic question: What do you have to do get into your national contingent in order to attend a world jambo? Or can anybody go?

Lisa'bob

"What do you have to do get into your national contingent in order to attend a world jambo? Or can anybody go? "

Youth members are approved by the local Council.

Adults are selected by the Region.

As a rule a lot more adults apply to go than there are spaces for.

The 2007 Jamboree still had a lot of spaces for youth. In fact so many that the number of Troops was cut back, of course with less Troops the need for adults was also cut back.

The cost is the killer.

2007 is costing approx $5,000 per participant.

($3,975 per person + The cost of getting to the gateway airport and the shakedown + uniforms and special equipment)

2011 is five years away.

I had hoped that OJ and myself would attend the 2007 Jamboree, but $10,000 the same year as he is starting college would have stretched the family finances a little too far. Especially when we go visit England just about any time we feel like it for a lot less. We might visit the 2007 Jamboree and there is a rumor that the Dutch Sea Scouts are planning something??

Of course the 2011 will only be a year after our 2010 National Jamboree. Depending on where you are located that is going to cost about another $1,000 per person.

I have to admit to being very disappointed that for 2007 the home hospitality has been replaced with a 3 day bus tour. Heck it 3 days to find a place to park in London!! The Scouts are staying at Hertfordshire University,which is only about 25 miles outside of London, but anyone who has ever tried driving in London knows that 25 miles can take over an hour. The Scouts are in tour buses, most people would go by train.

While no numbers are yet available as far as what 2011 will cost? I'm guesstimating $7,500 per person.

Eamonn.

OUCH. That's a pretty hefty price tag. I had no idea it would be that expensive - doesn't sound very thrifty to me. (and really, it ought not to be unless everyone's flying first class! As you say Eamonn, it is easy enough to travel to anywhere in Europe for a lot less than that.) Ah well.

I plan to attend both the 2010 National Jambo and the 2011 World Jambo with my Son. I hope to be with the contingent as a leader but will happily apply for a staff position if need be. As a boy, I was not able to go to a National or World Jamboree. I want my son to have that experience. For many, its a once in a lifetime adventure. I'm guessing around $20,000.00 for the both of us for both Jamborees

Joe

Joe,

Attending the Jamboree as an adult isn't that easy.

The host country normally can provide most of the staff that is needed and they have a lot of places where they can select staff from.

They tend to need people who have very special skills (Doctors, nurses and clergy) and prefer staff who are fluent in English and another language.(French, Spanish and German are the biggies.)

The BSA Troops are set up very much like the Troops are for the Jamboree: One Scoutmaster, who as a rule is someone who has either a lot of international scouting experience or has attended a WSJ before. Two ASM's and a younger ASM who is normally under 21 years old.

Each Region is allotted so many Troops. There are always a lot more adults apply then there is openings, so the Region can be very selective.

Wanting to go and being able to afford to go as an adult is great, but doesn't necessarily mean that you will be selected.

Five years is a very long time in the life of a Boy. While the 11 or 12 year old Lad might be gung ho for Scouts and Scouting, that same Lad in five years when he is 16 or 17? - Who knows?

Eamonn.

There has been a bit of misinformation so let's get this straight.

For the 2007 WJ, there are an abundance of unfilled youth slots, particularly for female venturers. Cost is $3975 + about $1000 for expenses.

2003 WJ in Thailand was $3625 + about $1000 for expenses.

Cost is highly dependant on host country fee set for attendees. Expect no more than $4000-4500 for the fee in 2011 unless air fare prices and exchange rates go through the roof.

Given the accommodations, touring, meals and transportation, this fee is VERY competitive with a tour company offering something similar (at least as similar as you can get, obviously you can't duplicate the Jamboree experience). It sounds expensive, but it is not particularly out of line.

Expect more than enough youth slots to be available in 2011.

Adult slots are a different matter. Here in western region, I understand we have about 400 adults vying for 220 or so spots. Jamboree and international experience are almost a must to be selected. Wood Badge is another important factor. If you want to go in 2011 as an adult, you would be well advised to attend 2007 (if you can get in) and 2010 National.

Adult unit leaders pay the $3975 fee. Adult staffers (called International Service Team, or IST) pay $1950 if 25+ and $1750 if 18-24. Add to that cost the flight to England which is not supplied to staff but is part of the fee for contingents. Going on Staff is very economical. Being on staff for 2007 will be an important factor for being selected in 2011.

Visiting WJ is somewhat problematic. The details can be found on the official WJ web site, but basically only by appointment, 25 pounds admission, only six days of the Jamboree and guided tour groups only with very limited access to activities at WJ. That doesn't sound fun to me.

Bottom line: if you have youth of the right age (13-17 at the moment), they should take advantage of this opportunity. It is not nearly as outrageously expensive as it sounds.

Don Roberts

Fullerton, CA

Member, Orange County Council World Jamboree Committee

Hi Don,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a little confused about what you mean when you post

"There has been a bit of misinformation so let's get this straight."

"For the 2007 WJ, there are an abundance of unfilled youth slots, particularly for female venturers. Cost is $3975 + about $1000 for expenses"

I posted:

2007 is costing approx $5,000 per participant.

($3,975 per person + The cost of getting to the gateway airport and the shakedown + uniforms and special equipment.

When it comes to female Venturers.

Each Region is only sending one Crew of 36 youth members and all Venturers must be under 18.

"Cost is highly dependent on host country fee set for attendees. Expect no more than $4000-4500 for the fee in 2011 unless air fare prices and exchange rates go through the roof."

The cost of the airfare to Sweden is 80% higher than the cost to England.

As a Ex-Londoner who goes home every now and then, I think $4,975 is a very expensive.

We didn't spent that much for a family of 3, including a car rental, one week touring and a week at Baden Powell House!!

Attending a World Jamboree is an unforgettable experience. Sadly it out of the reach of most families in the area where I live.

Unlike many other activities the cost isn't off set by organized fund raising activities like you would find in unit or Council events. The money available for "Camperships" is very limited and most Councils tend to see participation as an individual choice, not as sending a Representative from the Council. Although I do know that some service organizations will help at the local level.

The $7,500 I quoted is a guesstimate. I hope I'm wrong. But if you asked me five years ago what a gal of gas would cost? I would never have guessed nearly $3.00 a gal.

Eamonn.

Greetings Everyone!

Lisa'bob asked, What do you have to do get into your national contingent in order to attend a world jambo?

The Four Regions are tasked with managing the BSA contingents. Applications can be found on the national webpage, and also thru most every council office. The first couple of payment fees have already passed, but the should accept until filled.

So ask your council and region for an application to start the process, fill it out and submit a payment quickly.

Or can anybody go?

Just an FYI..

There should also be a day visitor passes available, (at a cost of about 15-20 British Pounds per day). Should be pre-registered for these Day Visits though.

Day visitors will probably not be allowed into all of the participant venues and demonstrations.

Rumors are that some family style leased campsites in the vicinity of Hylands Park, are leasing sites to BSA Councils and other country Scout assocations. So that they may conduct a London historic tour and attend a one or two day, Day Visits to the WSJ. This is not an inexpensive way to attend, just an alternative, and may just save a few dollars, euros or pounds.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21_Adv

"Each Region is only sending one Crew of 36 youth members and all Venturers must be under 18. "

The Southern Region is sending 2 crews. I have no idea about the other 3.

What I have been hearing is that in the SR, the troops are pretty much all full. The crews aren't. There is concern that boys that didn't get into a troop will full up the crew as Venturers.

"The Southern Region is sending 2 crews. I have no idea about the other 3."

This is not the information that we were given during the teleconference two weeks ago.

Admittedly everyone was from the NE-Region.

So I will have to accept that I was wrong.

The NE-Region will fill the open spots with Venturers from the Transatlantic Council.

Eamonn.

• 1 year later...

Some comments. FWIW I've attended several National Jamborees and was on staff for 2007 WSJ.

from what I understand, it was fairly easy to go on staff for the world jamboree. the BSA was allocated 800 slots in 2007, and I was told that we did not fill them. Not sure why. Also, don't think the host country will fill all the main slots with their people and only those with 'special skills' can apply. Doesn't work that way. I know the BSA scouters filled many positions, both 'specalized' and 'grunt work'. I wound up working in the adult dinning hall. Certainly not a good use of my 'specialized skills', as I work in IT. :

As to the Venturing Crews. The plan was that each region would send 2-3 Venturing crews. Sadly, they didn't get enought youth to fill them. I know the southern region was planning for 2 crews, but only sent 1. I think it wound up that we only sent 4 crews. I would certainly like to see more Venturing Crews at the 2011 WSJ.

The theme for the 2011 WSJ is "Simply Scouting". That's the theme they gave during their presentation at the 07 WSJ. Hopefully we should learn soon where the next WSJ will be (competition is apparently between Singapore and Japan).

Don gave the straight scope on alot of things. He organized an informal/unofficial group of BSA ISTers going to the WSJ which did some touring before and after the jamboree. This group did a better job of getting us prepared for the jambo then national did.

Update FWIW.

Did some checking on-line.

The next WSJ is apparently going to be in 2015. The site will be determined by the next World Scout Conference that is coming up in July (next month) in South Korea. the 2 main contenders are Singapore and Japan. Both have websites promoting their bids. (there may be other bids, but I have no idea who). (I had heard that both Japan and Singapore were bidding against Sweden for 2011, and while the Singapore bid was very strong and the Swedish one very weak, that somehow Sweden won the bid.)

So we should soon know when/where the 25th WSJ will be held.

I've heard rumors (fairly certain they are true) that the BSA has stated they intend to put in a bid for the following WSJ (2019 I assume), that will be held on their new Jamboree site they are looking for. We'll see how that shakes out.