Is there life after SM?

Well, my three year "tour of duty" as Scoutmaster is just about up. I dearly love the job, but I can see that I'm getting a bit stale and I know that others have fresh ideas for the troop. We have an eager ASM ready to take the reins. He's an Antelope, but I don't hold that against him. ;)

So, I am asking my friends on these forums, especially those of you who have been in this situation already, what happens now? What scouting trajectory do you recommend? What pros and cons do you see to district service? The district chairman has alluded that he has a job lined up for me, but I know I like being "in the trenches" with the boys a lot more than unit-supporting commissioner and committee roles.

Your advice and thoughts are most sincerely appreciated.

-T

When I left the SM position after about four years and an ASM stepped in, the word was barely out before the DC asked if I would be a UC. However, although I took the UC for other units, I am also still with my old unit as an ASM, the activity is good and I think that the boys appreciate that I am still around, but in doing so I want to avoid giving the SM advice before it is requested or take any other action that would preempt his authority.

Jeff

Unit Commissioner

OA Chapter Advisor (or event Lodge Advisor)

Venturing Advisor

District Committee Chair or other District Volunteer

lot of options, really, if you don't want to go back to being just an ASM.

Well, in my case, after serving as SM for five years in a true boy-led unit, there were some...how to say this politely...ego problems with some other adults in the unit. The problems got to the point that no matter what I tried to do, it wasn't right in their eyes. I just couldn't work with them anymore. Gave my scouting resume (http://home.gwi.net/~moxieman/scoutresume.pdf) to the troop committee and said I can't work with Scouter John anymore. I've tried this, this, and this. Here's my scouting resume. You decide: get rid of him or loose me, for if you keep him this troop will fold within five years. Committee chose to support him, so I left. Stress in my life dropped dramatically. Committee chair apologized to me years later for not heading my warnings after the troop folded 18 months shy of it's 50th Anniversary.

I was immediately approached by the District to be their new Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner. I had turned them down in the past with: I only have time for one position--find a new SM for my unit and I'll take your position. But this time around, I was ready for a change. And it was a wonderful change--people who actually appreciated the time I provided to make scouting better for our youth. Up to that point I was wondering if those around me had forgotten that scouting is all about the youth. Not the adult coffee club, but the YOUTH.

I have found that position very enjoyable for the past five years--a LOT LESS stress then dealing with parents all the time. I still remain somewhat involved "in the trenches" as I help out at district events and I am also a Trained "Rent-a-Leader" not affiliated with any single unit, but as a member of the commissioner staff, I can give whatever unit who needs a hand this week or that a hand...or be that second leader for that camping trip that is about to be cancelled because they can't find a second leader. (This is a rural district where the average troop size is 10 boys and 4 or 5 adults, many whom also are Cub Leaders at the same time.)

(chuckle) I've also been 'adopted' by our most remote unit 2 hours north of here on the Quebec-Canadian border. They've given me their troop t-shirt and I'm under "orders" to wear it on their campouts.

My brother has been recruited to try and reform the hometown unit that has folded. He's asked for my help. The wounds are still too deep to jump in as his assistant and as I explained to him, it would be better if I was not there for I don't want it to look like he's a "puppet" SM. I'll simply give him help/advice behind the scenes as he asks for it. All the luck to him.

Trevorum

Like you have seen in the other post there is life after SM. For me I doing NYLT as SM and realy enjoy it. To see the young scouts grow so much in just one week is something to behold. you can be a trainer which would let you share some of your years as a SM.

Yours in Scouting

drmicrowave72

I have been scoutmaster for nearly 25 years now. I became scoutmaster when I was 21 years old. I did not know that there is a life after Scouting or I would have quit a long time ago. I was thinking about working with the Historical Society if I ever got rid of the scoutmaster position. :-)

Steve B

Scoutmaster, Troop 68, CMC

http://www.melrosetroop68.org/blog.html

It's your choice since this is a leisure activity for volunteers. Back to the trenches? Find another unit, one that needs your help. The district is generally full of needs. Find one that meets your special strengths and shine like a new penny. What are your needs? Haven't you ever wanted to climb a mountain and go up the side that few have climbed or repair the much used trail to the top of a special peak? Surely you have a list of problems that you have thought long and hard about that you wanted to fix. Go do it. You wouldn't listen to any of us anyway. FB

Trev,

Sorry, no, there is no life after SM. I can think of no other occupation more rewarding and stimulating. My only hope is to go quickly, perhaps I'll stand too close to the fire, there will be a small 'poof', and it will all be over.

( wink wink, har har, :-) :-) )

I too used to think SM was the best job in the world. But time and not so great support from other parts of my Scouting world lead me to think that I might get more out of Scouting (and give more as well) if I move sideways or upwards.

'But what role' I echo Trevorum.

There are not so many jobs over here. Two jobs that I favour are occupied. Maybe the third choice - leader training will be OK.

I know that I would make for a terrible SM. But, I could be a resource for SM's. Not every SM has the time, or energy to get all the certifications, training and experience needed to run high adventure programs for older scouts.

Other great jobs out there....COPE Directors, Climbing Directors, EMT's, Whitewater experts, Living Historians such as Mountain Men, and Voyageurs, Black Powder shooters, Trail Builders, Touring Cyclists, etc. etc.....

Find a niche, and go for it...

Much will depend on how much of a shadow you cast on the new SM. Ask him/her what position they would like you to take in your unit - if any. Sometimes you need to step away to let the new SM take hold. Sometimes, they want you to stay close.

I'd give you the same advice I give Webelos leaders whose sons join our troop. Don't sign up right away for a position in the troop. Watch and observe for six months or so and then decide what you want to do. Step back (avoid DEs for awhile!) and smell the roses and then let yoru heart lead you. Good luck.