Why People Post Here - Maybe

*grin at SR540Beaver*

Honestly, acco40, your posts in this thread are the most acrimonious of all. This would be ironic, but we're Americans, and everyone knows we simply fail miserably at irony.

CalicoPenn's image of a late-night, scouts-all-tucked-in campfire bull session resonates with me.

Beavah's spelling is annoying at times, but it gives good "color" to his "voice". I'll aspire to thinking like a commish, Beavah, maybe someday I'll feel qualified for that role.

I post here because I'm opinionated, curious about others opinions, and generally enjoy sifting through the different threads. I guess i've been here a little over a year and some threads have changed my mind on issues. BF(before forum) I thought the uniform was silly, outdated and para-military. AD(After debate) I no longer see it as silly but still outdated and para-military. I thought the restriction on athiests was unjustified, but now understand why it is there. I still haven't had an arguement presented that justifies to me the homosexual issue, but maybe someone can convince me down the road. On non-political/contraversial issues, I've learned lots on how to and how not to run our unit. I've learned tricks on making our meetings more fun and campouts more enjoyable.

Yup, thats why I post here.

I participate because I often need an answer to a question and I can often get it merely by reading the posts. Sometimes I think I can help someone else with a response to their question. But most of the time, it's just for the fun of it.

I can't put my finger on my exact motivations for participating here.

I lurked for sometime before I signed in. I recognized from the discussions there was a group of scouters here I could learn from, even if I sometimes disagreed with some.

So I've definately been a better scouter by participating here, and I hope once in a while I've been able to make a contribution. Most of all I recognize that there are a group of folks here that have dedicated a significant portion of their lives to scouting and deserve to be treated as such.

SA

Cheerful Eagle, not sure I understand your post.

Honestly, acco40, your posts in this thread are the most acrimonious of all. This would be ironic, but we're Americans, and everyone knows we simply fail miserably at irony.

I don't really want to debate whether or not my posts are acriomonius or not but why would it be ironic if they were?

Cheerful eagle, I think you may be misreading Acco40's words. Often in these threads, the careless or hurried writer's intent may be lost because we can't read the inflection of their voice, their tone, or see the expressions on their faces. Lacking these qualities, we tend to fill in the blanks using our minds (read imagination). And in this manner our reaction is sometimes as much a reflection on us as it is on the person who wrote the words. This is a bad limitation of written words in a forum like this and I suspect a large part of the disagreements (I plead guilty too) is due to misunderstanding alone.

If you read Acco's words in a different perspective, I can see a healthy touch of sarcasm and perhaps a sardonic sense of humor. Not irony. To help you with all this, remember that his nickname is basically one model of an office stapler. Puts a little more perspective on it, doesn't it? ;)

P.S. I'm nicknamed after a stinging caterpillar, in case you're wondering.

hmmm, yes, you're probably right, pack saddle. If I were to be honest, I'd say my internal mood was less than chipper last week. Point taken.

sooo... acco40 is an office stapler? And this is significant because...? Is this a reference to "...fold, mutilate, staple or spindle" or what? I don't get it.

acco40:

acrimonious (Pronunciation: "a-kr&-'mO-nE-&s. Function: adjective): caustic, biting, or rancorous especially in feeling, language, or manner

Had your posts been acrimonious, it would have been ironic because you were complaining about less than pleasent reasons for posting, thus unintentionally doing it yourself, thus being ironic. Which is usually completly impossible for an American to carry off... but maybe you're not from the states origionally...?