Recruitment Video For Cubs??

Does anyone know if there is a video/DVD that could be used during recruitment night for Cubs that would give the parents an overview of the scouting program and motivate them to join? National supply is telling me there isn't and I just find that hard to believe. It just seems like such an obvious thing that BSA would want to produce for units to use... since recruitment is so vital to our survival.

I have not seen a video. There is a powerpoint presentation that can be used much like a video would be. And it isn't half bad, but I think it works better when it is edited a little to suit the needs of your pack, and to include photos from events that your pack has actually done, rather than just the generic scout stuff national puts out. Whoever is running your district's round-up training should have this material.

Lisa'bob

JillKB:

The following videos may be available for purchase at your Scout Shop or they may be available for loan at your Council Service Center:

AV-01V006 Cub Scouting: It's Not Just For Kids $14.95

AV-01V011 Cub Scout Outdoor Program $15.95

AV-01V012 Cub Scout Orientation $15.95

Lisabob:

Can you post a link to the Powerpoint presentation?

(This message has been edited by fgoodwin)

Lisabob - Do you have descriptions for any of the videos you listed? My scout shop isn't responding to my question about recruitment videos. Another scout shop I buy from sometimes said they didn't have anything in stock & I should contact national. And national said there isn't anything even available. So now that you've given me part numbers I'd like to try and order again.... but descriptions would help me know if they are the types of videos I'm looking for.

I don't have any descriptions beyond the part numbers.

You might ask your DE if you can borrow copies from your Council. Some Councils (NCAC, for example) will make you a copy if you bring them a blank video.

You might also find old copies on Ebay.

Good luck.

Jill, I didn't post the videos - Fred did - but if you have a hard time getting your hands on them, let me know because I *think* I can get copies from my council.

As to the powerpoint - I don't believe it is on the web but it comes on a CD in a packet of stuff for cub round-up training that national provides every year. At least around here, every single pack gets a copy when they show up for round up training (and we try to get copies to packs who don't show up too). Whoever is responsible for your district's round up training should have a copy of it. Unfortunately I got rid of mine last year and don't yet have this year's but again, if someone really wants it and can't lay hands on it locally, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Lisa'bob

"Cub Scouting - It's not just for kids" describes the program and the roles that adults have in a Cub Scout pack. It's primary use is to convince adults to volunteer.

"Cub Scout Orientation" gets into a little more detail, and covers advancement, ranks, how a pack and den work, etc. It is intended as a tool for Cubmasters, Den Leaders and Pack Trainers to introduce newly joined parents to Cub Scouting.

"Cub Scout Outdoor Program" is describes the different types of Cub Scout camping and outings, the leadership requirements for same, etc. It is primarily used in leader training sessions.

The first is the most appropriate for the use you're describing. However, AFAIK, the first two are no longer available. Additionally, they don't reflect the latest changes to the Tiger Cub program. Your council may have copies at the office, that could be duplicated - I know ours still has some around.

If you have the technology to do so, you could capture the parents video off www.joincubscouting.org.