Well my son had his Scoutmaster's Conference last night for his arrow of light and nailed all 12 laws using the mnemonic device.

As to reviving old threads, I bet as new Webelos cross over or new boys join cubs, a lot of the old threads will have value and might be revived!

Thanks again to everyone for their additional suggestions!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it is just easier to learn the Scout Law as is. By the time you learn a acronym to help you learn the law, you might as well learn the Law. Boys have been learning the law to pass their Tend

I would never have memorized the resistor color codes without a mnemonic device, however it's far to bawdy to reproduce here.

I like the trevor saying though!!

Personally I just typed the Scout Law out and hung it on the wall in my office until I had it down cold.

Here is what I came up with. Probably pretty useless.

T L H F C K O C T B C R

The large hippo forgot copper kroners October to buy corn risotto.

Ticks lick hairy fat crumb kernels off corn tubers but cant read.

I better go and find where I left my life!

Pappy

>Trustworthy Tommy was a Scout

The original version is:

Trusty Tommy is a Ranger

Loyal true to every test,

Helpful to the needy stranger

Friendly, giving of his best.

Courteous to the girls he knows

Kind, a good turn every day

Obedient to his parents, too,

Cheerful, both in work and play

Thrifty, saving for a need

Brave, and not a faker

Clean in thought, in speech and deed

Reverent to his Maker.

These were the Great Laws of the Boy Rangers of America, a Scouting program in the United States for boys ages 8 through 12. It was organized by members of the BSA and although independent, it was the precursor of the BSA's Cubbing program now known as Cub Scouting. The Rangers were formed in 1913, mostly merged into Cubbing in 1930 and probably continued into the late 1940s. As should be obvious, the Great Laws were based on the Scout Law.

Ed

I know when I learned the scout law, I put the first letter of each part on the pads of my fingers.

OKOKOK

Look at your hand. Not counting the thumb, look at your other 4 fingers. They each have 3 pads. I put the first letter in order on my fingers. There are 12 parts and there are 12 pads. Works out great. You can have the boys use that as they go around, first looking at the letters, tapping them with their thumbs as they say them, and then washing it off and you will still see them tap each part.

That is my two cents. Let me know if you have any quewstions

The only gimmick that works for me is to take the Law and Oath put it on one's night stand. READ through it 3 times before going to sleep every night for 4 weeks. Don't try to memorize it. But if just read that many times one will retain it.

Stosh

• 2 years later...

In college a psychology instructor taught us how to memorize things using a memorization technique known as Shape Peg Words. The idea of this system is to memorize things in a certain order, and know what any number is. When it came time to teach Webelos how to memorize the Scout Law, I couldnt remember all of the Shape Pegs, and I have since found some probably more correct ones. The idea is to create a shape from the number and then associate the thing you are trying to remember with that shape, and the more outrageous the relationship, the more likely you are to remember it. You can make up your own, but these are the ones I used to teach the boys.

Add a top to the 1 and it turns to a T TRUSTWORTHY

If you turn the 2 sideways it looks like an N which stands for Noah, Noah had 2 lions that were very LOYAL

Turn the 3 sideways it is an M for mountain. In the mountains there are signs that point the direction to go, they are very HELPFUL

The 4 can be turned into a Ray Gun. Imagine a giant alien holding a Ray gun at you and is ready to zap you away my isnt he FRIENDLY

5 can be turned into a large snake who always bows at the waist. He is very COURTEOUS

If someone gives you a 6 pack of (root) beer they would be very KIND

My son decided he could turn a 7 into a dog, and dogs are very OBEDIENT

Turn the 8 sideways and it can be a mask on a clown. Clowns are very CHEERFUL.

Bankers hours are 9 to 5, and bankers are very THRIFTY

This may be politically incorrect, but there is a song 10 little Indians (one little, two little, three little Indians) 10 little Indian BRAVE(s)

My son decided the two parallel 1s looked like a bar of soap, CLEAN

Most of the boys just remembered the last one was REVERENT, but if you turned the 1 into a cross and added the 2 as a squared sign that would be very REVERENT

By using this method you can memorize them in any order, and know what the 8th scout law is without spooling through all of them. I still amaze the boys today by being able to recite the scout law backwards. Here are some I have found since trying to remember them on my own, and they do work well for memorizing most things. (very helpful in school)

Shape Peg Words (1-10) Like the Rhyming Peg System, the Shape Peg System is also based on associating a peg word with each of the digits 1 to 10. The difference is that peg words are chosen on the bases of resemblance in shape. Thus, a pencil might be a good peg word for 1, because it resembles the long and thin shape of a 1. Below are possible peg shapes

pencil, candle, spear

swan

Bird rotate 90 degrees counter-clockwise

Sail of a Sailboat

Hook

Club the end of golf club

Cliff think of a little guy looking over the edge

Hourglass

Balloon flying through the air, on a little string

Knife and plate

I think it is just easier to learn the Scout Law as is. By the time you learn a acronym to help you learn the law, you might as well learn the Law. Boys have been learning the law to pass their Tenderfoot for 100 years, it isn't that hard.

• Upvote 1

I don't have mnemonic for the Scout Laws; however, when I was working on my BSA LG, this is how they taught Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat to us and I used it with our scouts. They and I actually remember them. It is always funny to see them go through the mnemonics:

Safe Swim Defense:

Quit - Qualified Supervision

Pulling - Physical Fitness

Sally's - Safe Area

Left - Life Guard

Leg - Lookout

And - Ability Groups

Being - Buddy System

Disruptive- Discipline

Safety Afloat

Quit - Qualified Supervision

Pulling - Physical Fitness

Sally's - Safe Area

PFD - Personal Floatation Devices

Because - Buddy Systems

She - Skill Proficiency

Prefers - Planning

Extra - Equipment

Discipline- Discipline

As for scout Law ... upteenth repetitions!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, much later, like 4 years... which is now...I'm asking the same question which lead me to this forum. I quickly came up with this one, that is a silly saying attempting to help remember the 12 points to the law. Well, it may be just easier to learn it the old fashion way and work at it as it is. I enjoy my own creation of an "a mnemonic (mnemonic (n-mnk)adj. Relating to, assisting, or intended to assist the memory. n. A device, such as a formula or rhyme, used as an aid in remembering)".

tlhfckoctbcr:

the long haired furry creature kept on crawling toward both chief and rookie

Well, there is something. It doesn't offer much or rather any reverence toward the whole point of the oath, but it's an offering none the less.

As to memorizing or just relating the meaning of the oath: We are Webelos I and am more than ever convinced that thorough reciting is the way to go..no matter how slow we go.

Happy Trails,

MB(This message has been edited by MammaBear)

• 6 months later...

I have come across your forum, albeit a little "out of date"!

I am in Australia, so your Law is a little different to ours, but when I was in Scouts, I was taught the Law using a little rhyme. I have recently signed up to become a Scout Leader after being out of the movement for a number of years, and I found I immediately knew the Scout Law, because of the little rhyme.

Problem is, I cannot remember it all! After reading posts above, it seems to be based on a number of different mnemonic methods. What I do remember is below:

A Scout is...

1. Trustworthy (dont remember this one!)

2. Loyal (picture 2 L's as 2 Hockey Sticks)

3. Helpful (3 little words - "May I Help?")

4. Friendly (F for Four, F for Friendly)

5. Cheerful (Number 5 on its side looks like a smile)

6. Considerate (Convict Number 6 Named Sid)

7. Thrifty (Don't remember this one either!)

8. Courageous (Don't remember this one, but thinking maybe 8 looks like a B for Brave?)

9. Respectful (Number 9 looks like it is bowing)

10. A Scout Cares for the Environment (Picture a large red X on a tree, like trees that have been marked for logging - X being the Roman Numeral for 10)

Worked for me! And I would like to teach it to the Scouts here, but cannot remember the rhymes for 1, 7 and 8...

Tried googling it with no luck - that's how I stumbled upon your forum!

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Akuna

• 3 months later...

I read this posting with interest and, admittedly, some amusement at the efforts of the members to outdo each other regarding the true meanings and applications of mnemonics and acronyms. Though similarly tempted, here's my shot at the meat of the original question.

If I am understanding correctly, the thing sought after is ANY way to help young Scouts memorize the Scout Law. As a Construction Trades instructor, I often need to help my students remember code rules for egress, DWV, and kajillions of other construction-related rote memory items. As a Scoutmaster, I use the same method that helps those students. I simply break down the list into bite-sized sets of three or four items to master at a time. Then I add another group.

For example, first night memorize Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly and discuss their meanings (5 - 10 minutes spent altogether.) Have the boys all write them down,starting a list.

Next time - repeat the first four a few times, then add Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful including meanings and writing them down on their previous list (another 10 minutes that night)

Last night, add the rest of the Law, finish the written list, and ask for new insights about meanings for perhaps another 15 or 20 minute total session. The whole process should only take a total of 40 minutes, more or less, of planned meeting time.

Bite-size memorization works with the oath as well, but save that for other meetings.

It SHOULD go pretty smoothly for the boys, acknowledging learning differences. Also, be sure to include taking turns leading the law and oath at opening AND at closing for a while until they are comfortable and confident with it, then just at opening.

I hope this is helpful and GOOD SCOUTING! to all.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is something we used at home. It's pretty silly, but it works if you can make a mental picture of it:

Tiny, little hippo

followed cuddly kangaroos

Ornery crocodile terrifies

brave clean raccoon

A proper swim looks like a bad dog

Adult

Physically fit

Safe swim area

Lifeguard

Lookout

Ability groups

Buddy system

Discipline

A few ideas for aiding memorization ...

1. Make it tactile. Writing down the words - by hand - helps me memorize tons of material. Typing it out doesn't do the same thing, for whatever reason.

2. Make it interactive. Write out the words on pieces of paper or cardboard and have the Scout rearrange them, putting them in the right order, reverse order, etc.

3. Make it verbal. Do a group chant, song or round-robin shouting contest - saying the words out loud helps, too.