There is an adult leader in the troop I am with who is also a mother of a scout in the same unit who has questioned the use of gas powered tools use on Eagle projects. I know that the G2SS states that power tools can be used, but she wants to see it in writing that gas powered tools can't be used. I have read the current version(2004) and can't find anything.

Can anyone help me out ??

You might want to be a little more specific about what tools?

The G2SS has in bold print:

Chainsaws and mechanical log splitters may be authorized for use only by trained individuals over the age of 18, using proper protective gear in accordance with local laws.

I don't know if this helps?

Eamonn.

I really don't think such a BSA list is in existence.

The reason being that there are just too many tools and different sized motors.

Different places, states and sites may have different rules. The tools your state allows young people to use might not be allowed if the project is being done on school property.

Our Camp allows youth members to use lawn mowers but they are not allowed to use weed whackers.

The use of all power tools does require adult supervision.

Finding out what the local rulings are should be included in the planning part of the Eagle Leadership Service Project.

Knowing what is and isn't allowed is part of leadership.

Having the Scout check with the local Council and the organization that is receiving the project is the best way to go.

Eamonn.

There is no explicit prohibition, as E pointed out. The use of any power tool must be overseen by an adult. As long as it's legal, you should be able to do it. I know of an Eagle Project where they were going to rent an auger to dig postholes. As long as an adult is running it, they were in the clear.

Another judgment call...a gasoline-powered leaf blower poses less of a safety hazard than a chain saw. And a battery-powered drill is quite different from a circular saw. I have watched one young man lose all of his fingers, another both his legs, and another his hand (non-boy scout situations) and I take great pains (so-to-speak) not to see such again, especially if I am the responsible adult. If I forbid a boy from using one of these tools and his parent objects, I defer to the parent (and let him supervise). I rarely have a parent object.

Eagle1984,

First, how is answering to this parent your responsibility? Are you a member of the TC? Is she a member of the TC? If the TC decides that no power tools are to be used then that is all that needs be explained. The TC has no obligation to justify its policy to anyone except the CO. Yes we all want to live together in harmony so the TC tries to explain all rules and policies but even National cant force the CO or TC to approve actions which the CO or TC find questionable or possibly dangerous. If the TC and CO are OK with the use of power tools why should you object?

Second, just which type of power tool are we speaking of? You posted I figured that the person in question wants to know why her 16 year old son can't run gas powered equipment. If its her sons Eagle project why is he planning to operate the equipment instead of supervising the operation? Are we talking about one gas powered tool?

Third, just what is the project that is being proposed? Has anyone spoken with the District Advancement Chair as to the current or past practice policy on such tools? Is this a safety issue or a personality issue?

LongHaul

LongHaul,

You have some vaild points and here are the answers to your questions.

First, how is answering to this parent your responsibility?She approached me and asked these questions looking for answers.

Are you a member of the TC? Yes

Is she a member of the TC? Yes

If the TC decides that no power tools are to be used then that is all that needs be explained. Certain power tools can be used per the G2SS

The TC has no obligation to justify its policy to anyone except the CO. This is G2SS policy not TC

Yes we all want to live together in harmony so the TC tries to explain all rules and policies but even National cant force the CO or TC to approve actions which the CO or TC find questionable or possibly dangerous.

If the TC and CO are OK with the use of power tools why should you object? I never objected, I told her I would look for the information and get back to her

Second, just which type of power tool are we speaking of?

You posted I figured that the person in question wants to know why her 16 year old son can't run gas powered equipment. If its her sons Eagle project why is he planning to operate the equipment instead of supervising the operation? Are we talking about one gas powered tool? She wants to know why no one under the age of 18 is not allowed to operate anything gas powered in relation to an Eagle project

Third, just what is the project that is being proposed? Not sure, he has never come forward with any ideas

Has anyone spoken with the District Advancement Chair as to the current or past practice policy on such tools? Is this a safety issue or a personality issue? I am part of the District Advancement committee and have been overseeing the project process in my district for over 4 years, I am also and Eagle Scout in the Class of 1984(hence my forum name.

Eagle1984,

Please allow me to clarify my positions and statements. Just because the GTSS allows an activity does not mean the TC must allow it. The GTSS says that the use of power tools is approved for Boy Scouts but the TC can say that no power tools shall be used by Scouts and that is the end of it. The CO and the TC make the rules for the troop. The TC and CO can not allow activities that the National Organization has forbidden such as handguns, fire works, alcohol use by adults etc. but the TC and CO can make the rules tighter. In answer to my second question you wrote She wants to know why no one under the age of 18 is not allowed to operate anything gas powered in relation to an Eagle project I dont know if the double negative was intentional or an over sight. The TC or CO are within their right to allow or forbid the use of gas powered tool by scouts, with the exception of chain saws which are restricted by National.

You are a member of the District Advancement Committee so you should know if there is a policy concerning gas powered tools being used in connection with Eagle projects.

LongHaul

Longhaul,

You are a member of the District Advancement Committee so you should know if there is a policy concerning gas powered tools being used in connection with Eagle projects.

We have had scouts use only adults for the use of gas powered tools, but for some reason or another this scout's mother thinks that her son should be able to do so with proper supervision, but I disagreed and she was upset with my response. But looking back at part of your original answer, I don't answer to her and if she can't accept my answer, that is her problem. It is the son's project not hers.

Thanks for the help.