I just realized that we had not had a good round of girls, gays, or God in a long time. To rouse the troops, I thought I would lead the way with the Duck question. Is there anybody madly against Ducks being in Scouting? The BSA policy is strictly against them. I find this to be blatant discrimination. I am sure that there is a silent movement out there trying to bring them in to the fold but they have been in the "closet", kind of. I know that a boy or adult cannot sleep in the same tent with one, see GTSS. This question has been around for a long time and everyone has been tiptoeing all around it. It is like the proverbial elephant in the living room and everyone has ignored it. I could go on but I won't. I expect there to be allot of rudeness over this issue but go ahead and let it out. We have been quiet much too long! FB

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuzzy Bear

Being as we have:

Eagles.

Bob Whites.

Owls.

And I myself as a Scout in the UK was a Kestrel, who while spending a week at that Happy Land, became a cuckoo.

I see no reason why Duck ought not be a Scout.

I am the proud owner of a full set of Cigarette cards that the John Player Tobacco Company put out in the early 1950's.

While not PC by todays standards, it shows Boy Scout and Girl Guide Patrols. There are 50 cards in the set, but no Ducks.

This might seem like Duck Discrimination, however upon further investigation I noticed that there are no Geese, Hens or Turkeys. Delving further I noted that Pigs, Cows and Sheep are also not included.

It would seem that this discrimination not only applies to Ducks, domestic fowl, but all barn yard birds and animals.

I suspect that this might be due to an infiltration of 4H members to the ranks of Scouting.

Eamonn.

Having been in China (namely Beijing) about six weeks ago and ate at a well known Peking Duck restaurant (excellent Peking Duck if I may add), my vote is yes! Ducks should be in Scouting! ;)

Eamonn, I'm good with having Tennessee's bbque pig in scouting, too! Not to mention Korean's bbque ribs and many other barnyard delicacies!

After all, pop tarts, PB&J, and sloppy joes shouldn't be the only meals in scouting.

I have no problem with it. After all, I suspect a lot of ducks would rather be eagles, but wouldn't we have to dumb down the requirements a bit?

Eagle BOR: So, Donald, which of the points of the Scout Law did you find the hardest to live up to?

Donald: Quack!

Eagle BOR: Quack?

Donald: Quack, quack, quack, quack, quack! (tries to eat the Eagle pin on the committee chairperson's lapel)

Eamonn makes a good point about the outright exclusion of Ducks from Scouting as well as other warm blooded animals. He didn't even mention cold blooded ones but I won't lower myself. As he said, Ducks didn't even make the Cigarette Cards in the 50's, so Duck Discrimination (D.D.) was up in smoke years ago.

FScouter's defense of the BSA is well worn but just because the literature doesn't use the D. word doesn't mean that they haven't been targeted.

Onehour has suggested the he has eaten a Peeking Duck and I feel sure that he feels that it was justafried.

grampye, there is so much indigestion about Ducks that if one were to sit for an Eagle BOR everyone would just take aim.

Even the President is known as a lame duck during his last year. Its libels like that that give Ducks a bad rap.

FB

ahhhh ... isn't it refreshing when everyone has a sense of humor and having fun while we are at it ... just as the way that scouting ought to be? Remember, ducks of a feather, flock together or is it swim together or fly together or get shot together? Something like that!

Mighty Ducks rule! Quack ... Quack ... Quack ...

(and I don't even live in Anaheim!)

... yes, yes, yes don't call a fowl! Don't get those feathers ruffled. There are other good hockey teams too, I think? :)

Speaking of duck, roast duck sounds great tonight. That it shall be!

Oh this one is too easy. Of course there can't be ducks in BSA. Ducks don't wear pants (proof: http://disney.go.com/vault/archives/characterstandard/donald/donald.html)

Pure and simple morality issue.

Some make say its a choice, some may say they are genetically programmed to go bottomless. But either way, its immoral. And to boot, they could never be in "full field uniform".

If ducks want to join BSA, then by goodness, they can start their own youth organization. Good luck on that one.

According to Donalds bio, he has more than one issue.

Donald is a Duck with a short fuse. His good intentions are generally his second or third ones but by the time he reaches them, he is off chasing his less nobler goals. He is not a quitter but a profound loser. Daisy has stood by his side for years without going to the alter. He also has some nephews that we have always wondered about. He never has understood why things go so well for Mickey and Goofy.

If Donald signed up with the BSA, he might not pass the background check. Let's hope he hasn't given Ducks a bad name.

FB

And have you ever watched ducks on the water? Everything looks OK, but who knows what's going on beneath that seemingly unruffled surface?

And then it happens... mooning!

Exclusion is too good for them. They should be burned at the stake! (or is that burned with the steak?)

I have several duck families of different types visiting my yard. Do we need seperate troops for muscovies and mallards or should they all be in the same troop ? We also need a pack for the little ones. The ducks actually listen better than some scouts I've seen, however they need serious sanitation training especially in digging cat holes. Maybe we can get the half wild cats hired as summer camp staff to teach them this instead of trying to eat the ducks all the time.

Yes..I was thinking the same thing about needing separate troops for different ducks..because you know those Mallards are a wild bunch who just might need better trained leaders! Those Wood Ducks OTOH might be good Wilderness Survival MB Counselors.

You know about Donald though...he DOES have that filthy rich Uncle who just might buy him his own troop. And where did he get all that money??? Perhaps skimming the profits off of Donald & the boys' Tails End Duck Corn sales??

As you may know the movement to have Ducks allowed to become members of the BSA has been pushed by William Blue and G.W.Teal.

They have both pledged unlimited funding to ensure each and every flyway is represented on the National Council.

They ask that you give them a ring them on the 1-800 number 800-RINGNECK.

Reports of a testing of the Duckreach program and decoy Ducks have been greatly exaggerated.The reports of faux fowl have ruffled a lot of feathers. Blue Bill is on record as saying the story in the New York Times headlined Wildfowling Tales is not true he goes on to say that the ducks he represents are real ducks and that no WonderDucks,Mallard Machines or Mojo Mallards are represented.

He also states that he has no affiliations with the newly found DSA or the DSA magazine "Duck Calls".

Eamonn.