Is it possible to have an entire forum with pleasant conversation where exchanging ideas and experience prevails? Is it necessary to bow out our chests and pound on it stating that I am the Hero to Scouting? So many forums turn ugly or challenging! Why do so many folks find it necessary to brow beat their views to others? Why is it so important to be right on an issue of grammer? Often, someone may state something that is not exactly right, yet their intent is clear and somebody is waiting to pounce! It may be a word that is incorrect or a sentance or maybe a complete statement. How many fantastic Scouters have been lost to these forums due to somebody beating them down? I know of a few. It is not worth getting upset about! Have Fun! Perhaps, we could follow the Scout law when posting replies?

Go ahead, Blast away! Don't get personal! I look forward to your replies.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, there are so many people out there that are ready to pounce if you don't get the information correct word for word form some source of information. Then they quote the reference. Lighten up people.

I have to admit to only reading the threads that spark an interest for me. If there is a recent thread that has turned ugly that prompted this thread, I am unaware of it. I've been around here for a while and I have seen threads turn less than scoutlike on occasion. I'm pleased that it doesn't happen all that often. There are a few people around who have particular buttons that are easy to push and they let their emotions get the better of them. My thought has always been that they have previously participated in other types of forums on the internet that get and stay downright nasty most of the time. They come here and drag the attitude along with them without realizing this forum is a different animal. I love coming here because scouting is a topic near and dear to my heart and it is a safe harbor in the storm of internet forums. Don't believe me, go to some of the political forums like Democratic Underground or Sean Hannity's webpage. It gets ugly and stays ugly. I've seen it in many other types of forums too. I just think new folks who are involved in scouting come across scouter.com and drop in while dragging along their other forum experiences.

This subject seems to crop up every now and then.

I'm with the Beav, in that I haven't noticed it get out of hand as of late.

Some people might take a reply to something that has been posted as being unkind? When this was never the intention.

Some of us know that others will disagree with whatever we post and would disagree if we were named Saint Peter.

This is a strong case of "Taking Plenty Of No Notice"

If someone is really getting up someones nose!!

There is always the "Ignore this user" thing.

I have only ever used it once, and that fellow has got on his bike and gone back to the Abbot.

I would hope that we somehow manage to stike a balance. Sure there are the threads about issues that are very serious and near to someones heart.

But we also spend time looking and talking about fun things.

Eamonn.

For the number of years that I have been on this forum, this request has been surfaced and resurfaced many times. There will be people who abide by the courtesy request and there will be people who simply ignore it. The answer is really simple. Everyone needs to practice what we all are preaching to the boys:

The Scout Oath

The Scout Law

The Scout Motto

The Scout Slogan

and everything will be civilized.

The problem is that everyone wears his/her emotion on the sleeves ... and mindless remarks spew out along with his/her passion!

1Hour

There are times when I push the limits. I know that. That's just the way I am. But what drives me nuts (other than Merlyn) is when a poster wants to stick to the letter of one requirement then get upset when their interpretation of another vague requirement is disputed.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I agree, there are so many people out there that are ready to pounce if you don't get the information correct word for word form some source of information. Then they quote the reference.

That would be me! Lots of new Scouters come here looking for ideas, opinions, and practices in other troops. Some come here to wanting to know BSA policies, procedures and rules, in addition to troop practices.

Lots of posts get pounced upon because the statements are factually wrong, promote practices that are unsafe, or conflict with BSA policy. For example, troops can make blue jeans part of the uniform, sod surfing is OK if you dont get a tour permit, and boards of review should test the boy on all 10 official Scout knots is going to get pounced big time.

I think it is part of our duty as members of this organization to promote BSA policies and to discourage those that want to redefine Scouts in their own image.

What you are speaking of is something that is called "netiquette" (net etiquette).

The problem was always that newbies didn't know it, and too often broke it, as well as some newbies didn't understand how on-line discussions worked and thought they were being 'attacked' (or that people were being 'mean to them').

Eagleinky,

That is too funny!!!

emb021,

"What you are speaking of is something that is called "netiquette" (net etiquette)."

No, I speak of etiquette! If I was speaking of netetiquette, I would have stated netetiquette! I am speaking of good manners, being kind to others.

I love this stuff! Have fun, blast away, don't get personal!

Knotty Fox

(This message has been edited by knottyfox)

I am afraid that this is as kind as it gets. There hasn't been a real blow-out in a long time. If someone is getting ripped now, just wait. One will rise up from the ashes. It is a mixed blessing because some of the more potent expositors had insights that could take us to new depths. It is too bad that it couldn't be accomplished with a gentler hand. It seems to always be a trade-off. FB

Let's see ... it's not true "netiquette." It's not true "etiquette." It's "forum etiquette" as the author titled it ... so ... it's "foretiquette" which is very close to "forget it" ... hence the reason why people continue to behave as such! QED ;)

"No, I speak of etiquette! If I was speaking of netetiquette, I would have stated netetiquette! I am speaking of good manners, being kind to others. "

Its "netiquette", not "netetiquette".

And netiquette IS etiquette. Its how to act properly (and what is acceptable) in on-line communications. Email. mailing lists/discussion lists. forums. all that stuff.

A BIG problem is that on-line communication is different from face to face or phone conversation. And this difference causes a lot of problems to the newbie. On-line communication is more to the point. Some newbies think this is rudeness or harshness. Its not. A lot of this so-called 'bad manners' is just a misunderstanding on the part of people unfamiliar with on-line communication.

I've been on-line for about 15+ years, so am fairly familiar with the 'problem'.

And the points that "FScouter" makes is also important to keep in mind.

I haven't seen too much discourtesy lately--read some older threads for a higher level of unpleasantness. Ignore the Issues board if you don't want a higher level of controversy.

There is one pattern that I have noticed--sometimes a new poster will come on the board with a problem in the unit, and will ask for advice. Advice is given--usually in a reasonably courteous manner, but in some cases suggesting that it is the new poster who is in the wrong in the situation. The new poster doesn't like this and gets offended. I think regular forum participants should be gentle with new posters, especially when all the facts aren't clear--on the other hand, you have to develop a bit of a tough hide if you are going to participate in anonymous discussions in which people are talking about things they feel strongly about.

It HAS been quite civil of late - with lots of good stories from camp.

A bit less than entertaining though - the Issues and Politics area has been rather quiet.

Hey Ed what say we go over to I&P and start something ;)

I have strongly disagreed with Ed at times in the I&P area - but in truth I respect Ed immensely and believe his Scouting is on the mark.

Actually when we stay away from "those" topics - I find we have much more in common with our fellow scouters here than differences and that for the most part our goal is the same - making scouting the great program it is.

YIS,

cc

OH and in answer to your first question KFox - no it isn't. :)

(This message has been edited by campcrafter)