Greetings Everyone!

The Ocean to Ocean Cayuco Race began in 1954 by the Boy Scouts of America, Panama Canal Council. The race was sponsored by the Panama Canal Commission until the turn over in 2000. The history of the race can be read at www.cayucorace.org . The Balboa Paddle Club and Balboa Yacht Club have kept the race going since the Canal Commission and Southern Command (and their dependents) departure in 1999. (I believe there are only one Troop and Pack remaining near the U.S. Embassy in downtown Panama City, as Direct Service units)

This is a question I've been pondering for a while, and I usually through it out when friends state they are looking for an exciting High Adventure Trip. (And to be honest, I never participated in the youth category, but I would certainly get a kick out of participating in the adult category someday.)

First, Does any former member of the Panama Canal Council remember the Ocean to Ocean Cayuco Race?

I have seen a friend participate in the adult category in 2001, but....

My Second question, Have any BSA Troops or Crews participated since 2000?

Lastly, as a comment. I've seen some amazing "High Adventure" articles in Boy's Life and Scouting Magazine, but I'd really get a kick out of reading something like this. Not everyone can say that they paddled from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Also, the Cayucos are the smalled boats allowed to transit the locks (if they still allow). The race occurs in early April, so Spring Break or extra homework along with the trip planning would be needed, but this would be a great High Adventure Trip for some older Scouts or Venturing Crews.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21_Adv

Oh yes.... As for my own Crew, my sons are convinced. As for the rest of the Crew officers and membership, they are still milling it over. (darnit)