Did BSA change the methods?

In the latest uniforms thread, Scoutingagain pointed out that there were seven methods listed on the BSA website. They are (in no particular order) Ideals, Patrols, Outdoor Program, Advancement, Personal Growth, Leadership Development & Uniform:

=================================================================

AIMS AND METHODS OF THE SCOUTING PROGRAM

The Scouting program has three specific objectives, commonly referred to as the "Aims of Scouting." They are character development, citizenship training, and personal fitness.

The methods by which the aims are achieved are listed below in random order to emphasize the equal importance of each.

Ideals

The ideals of Boy Scouting are spelled out in the Scout Oath, the Scout Law, the Scout motto, and the Scout slogan. The Boy Scout measures himself against these ideals and continually tries to improve. The goals are high, and, as he reaches for them, he has some control over what and who he becomes.

Patrols

The patrol method gives Boy Scouts an experience in group living and participating citizenship. It places responsibilityon young shoulders and teaches boys how to accept it. The patrol method allows Scouts to interact in small groups where they can easily relate to each other. These small groups determine troop activities through their elected representatives.

Outdoor Programs

Boy Scouting is designed to take place outdoors. It is in the outdoor setting that Scouts share responsibilities and learn to live with one another. It is here that the skills and activities practiced at troop meetings come alive with purpose. Being close to nature helps Boy Scouts gain an appreciation for God's handiwork and humankind's place in it. The outdoors is the laboratory for Boy Scouts to learn ecology and practice conservation of nature's resources.

Advancement

Boy Scouting provides a series of surmountable obstacles and steps in overcoming them through the advancement method. The Boy Scout plans his advancement and progresses at his own pace as he meets each challenge. The Boy Scout is rewarded for each achievement, which helps him gain self-confidence. The steps in the advancement system help a Boy Scout grow in self-reliance and in the ability to help others.

Personal Growth

As Boy Scouts plan their activities and progress toward their goals, they experience personal growth. The Good Turn concept is a major part of the personal growth method of Boy Scouting. Boys grow as they participate in community service projects and do Good Turns for others. Probably no device is so successful in developing a basis for personal growth as the daily Good Turn. The religious emblems program also is a large part of the personal growth method. Frequent personal conferences with his Scoutmaster help each Boy Scout to determine his growth toward Scouting's aims.

Leadership Development

The Boy Scout program encourages boys to learn and practice leadership skills. Every Boy Scout has the opportunity to participate in both shared and total leadership situations. Understanding the concepts of leadership helps a boy accept the leadership role of others and guides him toward the citizenship aim of Scouting.

Uniform.

The uniform makes the Boy Scout troop visible as a force for good and creates a positive youth image in the community. Boy Scouting is an action program, and wearing the uniform is an action that shows each Boy Scout's commitment to the aims and purposes of Scouting. The uniform gives the Boy Scout identity in a world brotherhood of youth who believe in the same ideals. The uniform is practical attire for Boy Scout activities and provides a way for Boy Scouts to wear the badges that show what they have accomplished.

===================================================================

To this, acco responded "the BSA used to have as one of the methods (and I'm paraphrasing) Adult male association. This was later changed to (when Females could become Cubmasters, and Scoutmasters) Adult Association. I noticed this is not listed in on your/the BSA list. It wouldn't surprise me that things have changed but yes, that is new to me. "

This news to me as well. When I get a chance, I'm going to buzz through the new fast start training to see if it addresses it. Does anyone know if this really is the case? Or is it simply a mistake on the BSA website? I think dropping one of the methods would be a big deal, and Adult Association is certainly one that I think should stay. Any thoughts?

http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-503.html If you click on the "view source" for this page, it shows that it was modified June 16, 2006, so this should be the most recent. I arrived at this page by going to the Boy Scout page, then choosing clicking on the words "Boy Scouting" on the first page that came up (both Adult Leader & Boy Scout sections were the same). I've noticed that National has been redoing some of the site (Cub Scouting was completely restructured). I tried going to Scouting Information Center, then Fact Sheets, then "What is Boy Scouting" and got the same page. The Media Center page, found at http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/index.html is not dated but mentions December 2001 statistics thought the other gives December 2005 statistics. The media pages seem to more of a an archive of events that have taken place rather than the most current info, and my guess is that in 2001 the BSA either had 7 goals or had a typo in the fact sheet.

Some months back, in another thread which I wouldn't be able to relocate in a million years, the (erroneous) 7-method page on the national site was brought up, and someone provided a link to the (correct) 8-method page. I imagine someday the erroneous page will be removed.