have,any of yous volunteered for daycamp etc.about two months or so before the event.was told you will beon staff.but when you called becaused the chairman didn't call you the week before the event. he or she told you three before they have afull staff but you are not on it.

I've had the opposite happen. When checking in for U of SCouting this year, they told me I was "Faculty" and did I need any help carrying my materials in. I said, "Sorry, nobody told me I was faculty and have nothing prepared." So the UofS Dean of Boy Scouting showed up in the class and said, "well, you all probably know more about this subject than I do, so just talk among yourselves for the next hour."

Unfortunately, we are all volunteers doing the best we can(most of the time), and sometimes communication is not what it should be.

Let's see if I can understand things. You volunteered to be on day camp. Was told you would be on staff, but was not told what specifically you would be doing. (am assuming that last part) When you checked a week in advance you find out you aren't on staff, as they are full.

I've sort of experienced that, but part of the problem is you probably didn't find out up from what you were going to be doing. A vague 'being on staff' is no guarantee of being on staff. :( You got to make it clear what you can do and what you will be doing, especially if you are a newbie to the staff. And most, if not all staffers, would be hearing for their 'boss' several times before the event to make sure they will be there, are prepared, etc. Hearing nothing from the event people is NOT a good sign.

I've had other problems with being a staffer, but they were more along the lines of trying for years to BE on staff for events and being ignored or rebuffed, or being on staff for several years and suddenly get dumbed by the new person in charge (who had been on staff and moved up to the position).

I've never experienced scoutldr's experiences. I've come to events and wound up helping out and being a defacto staffer (great way to 'get your foot in the door' with some groups/events).

Goodgootamooga. Volunteered to help, willing to help, qualified (we assume... age, rank, experience, etc.)and NOT ALLOWED? I really don't believe that. I believe I would try to have a polite conversation with the "leader", perhaps with a friend in tow (parent?) and find out the truth of the matter.

**I know our District activities (Camporee, Day camp, lotsa etc.) would NEVER turn any qualified help away. There's always some where to put a willing pair of hands, some apprentice slot with an experienced person, some desk checker, gofer, runner, "chief asssistant smile encourager" place for a able willer.

** buddy-3, all I can suggest is forgive the implied affront, smile and make yourself available the next time. Your time and skills and abilities will be needed in the Scout world the next time, I betcha. YiS