Today is the summer solstice, the longest day of the year and the beginning of summer in the northern hemisphere (beginning of winter in the southern hemisphere). In 2006, the solstice begins June 21, at 8:26 a.m. EDT.

Thanks Trev!

I told my son the past few days we would have to mark the moment

7:26 CDT. I even thought of it in the shopwer this morning.

But of course getting ready and getting out the door to get him to summer school and me to work - we missed it. Oh Well guess we try for the Autumnal Equinox!

Happy Solstice to All and a safe summer Scouting!

CC

Hey Trev,

In Wicca (depending on one's tradition), Litha (the Celtic term for Midsummer, actually an old Germanic word that means "summer") is one of the "lesser Sabbats", as are the winter solstice and the equinoxes.

Since it corresponds to the height of the Sun's power (longest day, highest position in the sky), it is considered a day of great power. It is usually celebrated with a bonfire the night before (does the bonfire at our COH last night count? :) and traditionally, is a time to harvest herbs and flowers to make medicines for the coming year. In neo-pagan practice, it is a time to celebrate the fertility of the Earth, be thankful for the plenty of summer, and pray for a good harvest.

In the Celtic tradition, it also represents the passing of reign from the Oak King (the waxing Sun) to the Holly King (the waning Sun), so acknowledging the turning point when the days begin to grow shorter again.

Darn, wish I had known that yesterday! Last night would have been great for a bonfire! Our family likes to incorporate elements of a variety of cultures and religions into our set of family traditions, and I'll remember for next summer, for sure. :)

• 11 months later...

I found out about a tradition that some of the hikers on the Appalachian Trail take part in on the day of the summer solstice. It is known as "Hike Naked Day". The boys planned a backpacking trip on the AT, and we ran into a couple of hikers with strategically placed flags and such. After a couple of laughs, we continued on with the trip. I don't know how things would have turned out if we came across a girl of the female persuasion taking part in the tradition :-0