Fresh Idea: Survival Kits For Kids

Fresh Idea: Survival Kits For Kids

http://kutv.com/freshidea/local_story_143180939.html

May 23, 2006 4:07 pm US/Mountain

The summer is here and you may have a lot of outdoor activities planned. But before you send family members out in to the wilderness, Michelle King shows us what every parent should equip their child with.

In case of any emergency being prepared for the worst may save your life or the life of someone you love.

Last summer 11-year-old Brennan Hawkins went missing for four nights, but was found alive. Just one year prior to Brennan, 12-year-old Garrett Bardsley also went missing during a scout trip but was never found.

As mothers we really felt compelled to do something, said Robyn Frampton.

Frampton is a mother and also the co-founder of tyke hike. After watching scouts go missing she wanted to prepare her own children when they enjoy the outdoors.

We needed something that will adequately prepare every kid that goes into the outdoors and provide them with tools that they need in order to survive should they get lost, Frampton said.

So Frampton invented the Tyke Hike Safety Belt. It fits like a fanny pack and is equipped with basic survival tools like a thermal blanket, whistle, rain poncho, signaling mirror, perimeter markers, compass and a glow stick.

The pictured instruction manual helps the child understand which tool to use for any given situation.

Parents feel a sense of security when children are prepared but it also helps the child feel safe.

At least for my daughter she was a little scared when we talked about her getting lost, but then we looked through the booklet with her and talked about the what if situations and this is what you would do and it made her feel a lot more secure, said concerned mother, Michelle Lundgren.

The packs can also be used for adults.

They're putting them in 72 hour kits. We have them in the trunks of our cars in case of an emergency. Anyone going into the outdoors or going on family vacation, Frampton said.

These survival packs will run you about $15.

For more information visit http://www.tykehike.com

That's a good idea but while I certainly don't begrudge this person of a profit, you can put the same thing together for about $5, minus the fanny pack. My son just did one recently, along w/ his hiking 1st aid kit (for 2nd cl. requirement). He put his in a ziploc bag and leaves it in the front pocket of the day pack.

Glad to see some people "out there" are paying some attention though.

Lisa'bob

Last summer at camp we had a missing Scout. He was found within a hour. The Arlarm went off just after most of the boys in our camp had gone to bed.Two of the older boys from the troop that was sharing our camp site grabbed what looked like a mesh fishing vest.Anyway as we were all at the Emergency meeting place these scouts had emergency blankets,and handwarmers they were giving to the little guys.All which they pulled out of the pockets of the vest.The next day I asked them about their vest which they wore all the time.They said they had everything in the pockets that they may need.They even had a water bladder.My boys liked the idea of not having to wear a pack.So set up a couple for them. I sewed a big pocket inside of a fishing vest to fit a water bladder.And the boys filled the pockets with their 10 essentials.Added afew other things.whistles,signal mirror,some of that bright orange tape,etc.I know it's alot more involved then a daypack or fanny pack. I just couldn't get my sons to wear those.They wear their vests all the time when camping.I do think this is a great idea for younger kids.