3 strikes - you're outta here

Acco

That is not the same. You are not the child's parent, your are volunteer helper. Just as school should notify the parent of misbehavior, the parent need not notify the school. (of course certain behavior disorders would require consultation between parent and school/day care/ scouts/etc) But I am talking about specific incidences.

No I do not think we need to tell the parent Joe took a stick and waved it around and he knows better and we told him not to do that and he quit.

But if Joe waved the stick around in defiance after being told twice not to do it - then I would talk to the parent.

cc

The SPL directs the PL to have his patrol start preparing dinner. The boys choose to ignore him and continue to play Frisbee. Is that a discipline problem? Should the SM or SPL tell the parents? Is ignoring the SPL or one's Patrol Leader any worse or better than out right defiance of one of the adult leaders?

As a Scoutmaster, my "job" is to provide leadership training and to use the eight methods of Scouting to achieve the three aims of Scouting.

I happen to know quite a bit about boys in the 10 - 17 year age bracket. The above example is typical of the "teaching" moments I get. Right now, our current SPL is the bossy type and very attentive to detail. At our last outing he wanted the troop to be ready to leave the campsite at 9:00 AM. Well, 9:15 rolled around and dishes still needed to be done, personal gear put away, etc. The boys need to learn how to solve these problems. Most of the boys would love to have adults "take control" and run things. They are not accustomed to being led by their peers (or worse a boy two years younger!). They have to learn to work these things out.

Now is a boy brandishes a knife, destroys personal property, etc. - you bet I'll deal with it and keep parents abreast of the situation. Most parents know their sons much better than I. They don't need a minute by minute dissertation of how Johnny behaved on the last outing. If they really want to know - come along!

Acco, I don't recall asking for, or suggesting that I wanted, a "minute by minute dissertation" on my boy's behavior. But if the offense is serious enough to merit discipline from the troop leaders, then as a parent I do want to know. Yes, I would like to hear from my son. But I also want to hear from the adult leaders in charge and I shouldn't have to hound them to find out what was going on. This is part of the trust and partnership aspect of scouting. Not to mention, that it is smart policy for the adults. If I am going to discipline someone else's kid then they're going to hear about it from me. This is basic protection from misperception and "selective memory."

Lisa'bob