Last night I showed up at a Troop meeting, I have been absent lately(in the background) to let our new SM get his feet under him and have the boys looking to him instead of me (the OLD SM). I was suprised to find a new adult working with the youth. He is an Eagle Scout that has had some hard times of late and recently got out of Chemical Depency inpatient treatment for cocaine and other drugs. I questioned one of the other ASM's and he replied "ya we just don't let him drive the youth'. He never got a DWI/DUI he just had a drug problem and checked himself in. I did not see his application so I do not know what he listed. Our council operates with a don't ask don't tell method regarding adult apps. Should I question this or let it pass.I believe our Troop committe was not told of the issue or chose to over look it. I know the adults heart is in the right place - but?

But what eagleB?

If he is clean and sober and has something to offer in the way of teaching scouting skills then I see no reason he should not be a leader. Sure if his sobriety is recent then by all means keep an eye on him. But not only is he doing something good by helping the troop, the troop is helping him by giving him something worhtwhile and meaningful to do. Also - probably at some later time - he can share his experience with the boys and help them not to make the same mistakes.

There but for the Grace of God go we.

OSHO,

CC(This message has been edited by campcrafter)

I agree with campcrafter. This could be the best thing for him. When people can help others, it sure does wonders for their own self-worth.

Definitely keep an eye on him, though. I have an uncle who is a recovering alcoholic. He went through 6 wives and countless jobs before finally going straight. He tried rehab. a couple times, but kept falling back to drinking. His current (and longest lasting) wife convinced him to try the medication (I don't know the name) that causes vomiting when mixed with alcohol. That's the only thing that has succeeded in keeping him from drinking.

Eaglebeader:

You sound sensitive and sympathetic to your 'new adult ES'.

If you know his past history, is it unreasonable to assume others are aware of it as well? I would not be so concerned with 'keeping an eye on HIM' as being sensitive to others reactions to him. How accepting or prejudicial are they? I tend to think NAES is very aware of others eyes on him. Any rumors or talk among the SCOUTS? Some times my son will keep me posted on things that 'don't sound right' to him among the troops and then I can bring it up in our adult committee meetings (or in the "parking lot committee" meeting). Make sure NAES is 'appreciated'.

"by their fruits shall ye know them".

Antabuse (disulfiram).

First of all, is he registered? Sounds like you're not sure. All adult applications go through the national background check (by SSN, I think). While not a hard requirement, all "direct contact" adults should be registered and get trained, especially YP. I agree that if he is making an honest attempt to clean himself up, who are we to shun him? WWRD? Trust, but verify.

Thanks,

You all echoed what I was feeling. I have known the young man since he was a scout and is truly a good person. I am trying to find out if he is registered. I think that he can overcome his battle and this might do him as much good as it will help the troop. As to background checks they are not done by every council on everyone. In our council they are only done on a case by case basis.

My thoughts:

One bad thing about having the SSN on the Adult Application, is that we really don't want to be passing it around.

We have a system, let the system work.

Section Six of the Adult Application does ask a lot of questions. 6. a Asks if you use illegal drugs -Maybe it needs to be rephrased?

I think I would have to follow my gut feelings!

If I really deep down was unsure about this fellow, I'd very discreetly give the COR a call. After that I'd be happy to leave it with him.

If on the other hand I felt that this was a fellow who had made a mistake and was past it, I'd move on.

The fact that the other leaders don't feel he is able to drive is a red flag.

Just my 2 cents.

Eamonn.

eaglebeader,

I believe you are incorrect in saying that background checks are at the council's discretion. That may have been true in days gone by, but a background check is now done on every adult application and has been for a number of years now.

Of course, if a person who engages in unlawful activity has been fortunate enough to have never had a run in with the law, they would pass the background check with flying colors.

Its safe to assume that the Scouts are going to find out about his addictions. Parents too. Ill bet some of them are going to wonder why the troop recruited an adult leader with a recent drug addiction problem.

Drug addiction is not really a great example to set for Boy Scouts. This man (boy) made some horrible choices, bypassed the Scout Oath, and demonstrated some character unbecoming of a Scout. It hardly seems fit to put him up as an adult leader setting the example for young boys. The other adults obviously dont trust him, given they wont let Scouts in a car with him.

Maybe after he has been clean and sober for 4 or 5 years and has re-earned his trustworthiness, but not now.

I deal with this issue almost daily in a State Agency. We require that a person with a drug habit complete a recognized Rehab. program and be clean and sober for six months prior to us taking an application. The reason I share this is that it is a good policy, one that works. If they meet the criteria, then we keep the door open for periodic drug checks for another six months. We request that they be in a follow-up or maintenance program as well.

The problem that occurs frequently is affected reasoning and a decision to continue with past relationships. There has to be a significant break with past habits for an individual to keep with their new decision. It is a recovery process that they need and you should be aware of instead of simply casting a weary eye in their direction.

What I have stated is not the BSA policy but drug/alcohol habits are difficult to change and recovery is not automatic. I also agree that the Committee Chair and the CO be made aware of the possible problem. To give it little credence is to possibly invite a larger problem. Boys don't keep secrets and all it takes is one to bring it out into the open. Once the parents have the information and find that the issue was not addressed, or worse, kept secret, then it may develop into an issue of mistrust for the leadership.

FG

I like that. "Trust but verify". You have to go with your gut feeling, but stay within BSA guielines AND be sensitive to the troop adult commitee concerns. The NAES should know of your concerns and be honest in his desire to be open with you. His Scout experience is valuable and not to be wasted. Good luck to you and your Troop.