new to the forum

Welcome! I'm on my second time around as Den Leader as well. But I've only been leader of my youngest's den since Webelos since mine are only 2 years apart. You'll have a long tenure as a Cub Scout Leader. Did you know you can apply for "Veteran Status" after 5 years? http://www.keystonebsa.org/_forms/veteran.pdf

Looking forward to information you will have to share with us.

Jo

Webelos Den Leader

Boy Scout Mom

Thanks for the welcomes.

My two boys are 5 years apart. My older crossed over in February to a fantastic troop, then in June, the younger started as a Tiger. I've decided to stay more active in the Pack for now, since the Troop has great leadership. Still go on campouts and such with them when I can, though. I will probably become an ASM at some point, but it looks like Cubmaster may still be in my future in the Pack in a couple of years.

Does anyone have any experience holding leadership positions in both a Pack and a Troop at the same time? If so, how did/is it working for you?

Dan

Hi Dan.

Yes, I've been both a Cub leader and Scout leader at the same time. Was Cubmaster while my youngest was in the Pack and Advancement Chair for my oldest son's Troop. They are almost 7 years apart, so I did both leader positions for a number of years. When youngest reached Webelos, however, I stepped back from the Troop so I could spend more time with him in his last year of Cubs. Then, gave Cubmaster over to someone else and followed youngest into the Troop and resumed Advancement Chair duties. Last year, moved up to Scoutmaster position.

What a time it's been. Never in my wildest dreams when my oldest (then in 1st grade) said he wanted to be in Cub Scouts and I signed on as a Tiger leader, did I ever think I would have had so many opportunities to provide leadership to so many little boys - then fine young men! Now, oldest is in college and youngest just made Star rank.

Thinkin back, I guess it was difficult to wear two leadership hats, especially in two different levels of Scouting, but it was worth it. Most Scouters I know do more than one thing. They may be a den leader, but also help with District training; may be a Scoutmaster and also organize District camporee.

It is wonderful to hear of parents who get involved with their sons in Scouting. A great experience you and your sons will share and remember together!