Year-end gifts for leaders?

...and don't suggest squirt guns. We've beaten that topic into the ground (silly rabbits...)

Am looking for a good range of gifts for leaders who have been cubbing for years one through five. What do you all do that's meaningful doesn't raise fiscal eyebrows?

Hello,

Some ot the things I have seen done, scout pens, Norman Rockwell prints, coffee mugs/ soft drink mugs with scouting themes, scouting key chains, you get the idea.

When our Cubmaster retired last year, after 3 years as Cubmaster and 5 years as a Den Leader, I ordered a very nice walking stick from Brazos (see link). It was lazer engraved with his name on one side, and "Cubmaster" on the other. These sticks are so nice you really don't want to take them out in the woods! All the leaders pitched in $10 to cover the cost. This company makes very nice products! They range from around $25 to $150, so look around on the website. The one we gave as the gift was one of the exotics, a Bacote/Maple laminate shown on the link.

http://www.brazos-walking-sticks.com/product/laminated_hardwoods_bocote_maple_walking_stick.html

In our Pack, we only give a gift to those leaders who are leaving through their son's leaving due to age. As the (former) Wolf through WEB2 leader, I received the Indiana Jones style hat, as did our treasurer, who had served in that position since his oldest son was in the Pack. For leaders who aren't crossing over, and committee members, they receive the foil certificates.

Since the leaders have been involved for several years, you may already have an idea of their personality, Scouting needs, etc.

I remember from my Scouting days, our new Scoutmaster received a carved walking staff from a local Scouter and woodcarver, who also helped revise the woodcarving merit badge in the early 80's.

Gifts...a scout is thrifty...not to mention the packs and troops (mostly) don't have extra cash on hand...

We (speaking units here) limit gifts to LONG TERM troop/pack leaders. Cubmasters who are going on into Boy Scouting have been known to be really jazzed when presented with a BSA Red wool jac/shirt...(yeah, rediculously overpriced but for these kinda folks...)

We encourage the DEN PARENTS to do something (mug, engraved "wall hanger", framed Rockwell print,gift cert. at local outdoors store, etc.)...for long term Den Leaders. Committee folks (long term) usually get a certificate (we do the framing...usually in old barn wood) or plaques or Rockwell prints....

...and every so often when a parent is "caught" being really good we might spring for a special mug or a special T-Shirt (last year- T-shirts that had picture of Poison Ivy next to a roll of Toilet Paper and labeled "Foe - Friend" were really popular as parent "extra effort" gifts...)Parents (usually new scouters) who do the "summercamp" thing have been known to be awarded a Camp "T" or Mug...usually funded out of left over bus/camp funds...

And folks, remember, these folks also like to hear a kind word every now and then...during the the year(s), too! (Have you "hugged" your Scouter today?)

Anarchist

My favorite gift was an "autographed" framed photo of all the boys in my den. I had no idea that my asst. leader had done that, and I was amazed that the boys kept quiet about it. It didn't cost much, but it sure means a LOT to me!

At the beginning of my youngest sons WebII year. I started to ask the other boys in the Den for pictures. Since all of the boys started out as tigers together I got lots of pictures.We bought a small red blanket. I transfered the pictures to material.This is a special paper I found in the craft dept at WalMart.Then the Boys and I sewed the pictures on the blanket.Leaving room for any patches DL might want to add.