How does your Troop enforce the Buddy System

We've been having this problem of late on campouts, and the idea we came up with is to have some laminated cards (neon yellow or orange). On one side it would tell the Scout that he now has a simulated injury and that if he can call for help or take care of the injury using his 10 Essentials, he may do so, but that he must remain in place until a group of Scouts comes by to assist him back to his camp. It would also tell the Scout that he must show the card to any Scouts walking past.

On the other side it would, in big bold letters, say: Simulated Injury -- Please help -- I have a ... (pick from any injury a Scout might incur during a campout).

1 -- this would teach the Scouts the importance of having a buddy at all times

2 -- it would remind them that having their 10 Essentials on them at all times is important

3 -- it would help other Scouts work on 1st Aid

Your methods?

YiS,

Tim

Interesting idea. We just stress it over and over again. The boys have come to know it and expect it. The older guys often remind the younger ones at Summer Camp. Invariably, someone will wander off. This gives us a good opportunity to stress the importance of it. We've had a scout return to the campsite without his buddy. He'd say something like, he's with Joe & Tommy down at the lake. We'd take him back to his buddy and make them come up with a plan to get back to camp.

Dat's humorous, Tim. I like da notion of a simple consequence rather than a whole lot of adult lecturin'. Same with EagleinKY's hiking a scout back to his buddy.

I think the easiest thing to do most of the time is simple, reliable consequences without a lot of talk. I've seen one troop where if they find a boy is out alone stops everything and everyone does a lost camper drill, just like it was "real." With the whole troop a bit miffed that you messed up an hour of fun, you learn quick, eh? And the rest of the guys learn da procedures for when it's "real."