Perhaps this has been discussed elsewhere, but I haven't seen it. So here goes...

I understand that list of MB counselors needs to be kept current, but I have not seen any written policy as to HOW that is to be done. My district, supposedly at the direction of the local council, is requiring all MB counselors to complete a new Adult Application every year, complete with references, etc., in order to "renew" their status as a counselor. Interestingly, they DO NOT have to fill out a new MB Counselor Application (where they list the merit badges and their qualifications).

As registered scouters, we do not have to fill out a new Adult Application every year at charter renewal time - we just pay our money and get renewed on the charter.

The MB counselor "re-up" requirement applies to those of us who are registered scouters, too, as well as to counselors "outside" the program.

Given the fact that most of us in the local district already know each other and the district advancement chairperson, and usually know the non-scouter counselors and whether or not they intend to continue, it seems a bit onerous to require everyone to fill out the Adult Application again. It should be possible to handle a lot of this on a phone call or email basis. In fact, we have lost some excellent MB counselors because they don't want the aggravation of filling out the application again. I suspect that they're trying to send a message to the local council, but it winds up hurting the boys who could otherwise benefit from their expertise.

I'm curious to know how other councils handle MB counselor renewals.

oldsm,

Our Troop just started registering all of our MB counselors with MB and adult leader applications last year. We were also told that they would have to go through this process every year. So, our Advancement Committee person just started to put this year's paperwork together, and our Council sent out a letter to all MB counselors saying that they DO NOT have to "re-up" every year, and that only if they wish to be dropped as MB counselors, do they need to get in touch with the Council.

Maybe this is a Council by Council choice. National wasn't mentioned.

I'm happy,

sst3rd

I can tell you how our Council is handling it. MBC is a position "42".

If a MBC does not fill out our council/district yearly application that designates their council and/or district position, then they are dropped from the MBC list (and district charter??). To re-enroll (be registered as a MBC), they have to fill out both the BSA adult registration application and our council form. MBC are not charged a registration fee. Our council form is not a BSA national generated form.

A few years ago we used to carry a YPT card and the districts and council had a list of the YPT card carriers and an assigned number. None of that exists anymore, although it appears that the district will collect a copy of the YPT on line completion page and does forward that to council.

I only mention the YPT as that used to be( and still is,in reality, but not in an "on hands way") a big part of renewing our MBC. How are other Councils handling all this?

In our District if you reg before they started asking for SSN that would be all you needed to send in.After that every year MBC are sent a letter. It asks them to make any changes such as address,phone,ect.They are also asked if there are any badges they would like to add or delete.If we don't get the letter back we will try to call the phone number we have for them.If we can't get ahold of them they are then deleted from the list.Council prints a updated list with any new MBC's quartly.

In ours you are expected to fill out the app. on an annual basis. I really can't see that the paperwork is that onerous. If people can't find the time to fill out the app it makes me wonder whether they are really interested in being an MBC anyway?

Lisa'bob

I think most of the objection comes from people who are already registered scouters. I can understand the thinking that, since they're already registered with the council, they shouldn't have to register separately with the district in order to be a MB counselor. After all, it's the same program, and the "higher" (council) entity already has all their information and permits them to re-register every year without a new app. So why can't the district accept council's records as far as being a "safe" person to counsel?

I think there are two different issues here. One, which I have encountered, is a person who is already a registered Scouter (with a unit, say) being asked to fill out a new registration form to be a MBC. It has been suggested that the reason for this is that many of the unit scouters have been around so long that they have never had background checks, and that background checks are being performed on the new registrations. This was briefly a hassle, but not a big deal.

The other thing is asking MBCs to submit a new application every year. I can't see any purpose to this, unless again what they are really doing is performing background checks on people who have been registered for a long time. Perhaps there is some legal reason they need a new registration to perform a background check. Could it be that some councils are now performing background checks every year? That would be OK with me, but its seems like it would be very expensive.

Our Council sends a letter to MBC's once a year. It askes if there are any changes to your address or phone # and whether you want to add or delete any badges. If you do not respond to the lettter by its due date the MBC is dropped from Council MBC list.

Council maintains and posts MBC listing on their website.

ljnrsu, that sounds reasonable. Do I understand correctly that your MB counselors do not have to fill out another Adult Application every year - just respond to the letter?

What forms of response are accepted? Phone call? Email? IM? Written (snail-mail) response?

I'm really curious how this entire process can be simplified for everyone while maintaining safety for the scouts.

Does anyone know if National has a policy on this?

Had lunch this past OA induction weekend with a member of the Council Executive Staff.

ANYONE who is primary registered outside of a Pack, Troop, Team or Crew (this includes Commissioners, District/Council Committee, non-affiliated MB Counselors, ad infinitum) must do a new Leader Application every year, including references, as part of the membership process.

He said if I really wanted to know, the Field Director could point me to the exact National rules on this. I didn't really want to know :) His word is good enough.

In our Council, background checks are about every two years for folks above unit level.

It's a YP thing :)

HTH

YIS

As John-In-KC says it's a "YP" thing but it is also a Risk Management thing. Adult leaders at the unit level are the responsibility of the CO. Adult leaders registered outside a CO Chartered unit are the responsibility of the Council. Whether or not the background checks are actually done is another question but annual applications are required. When a unit re charters, the CO is supposed to reassess the acceptability of all the adult leaders in it's units and the COR then either accepts the rechartering of these individuals or strikes them from the charter. The Council is required to do the same "re-evaluation" of adults registered thru the Council and annual adult apps seems to be the most effective way to approach this.

LongHaul

oldsm, yes you are correct no Adult application. It's a form letter that you have to sign and return to Council. The letter I received last year also asked for date of YPT.

Our Council has its own MBC application which is a combination of BSA's Adult and MBC application's which you complete once.

Thanks, LongHaul. What you write makes sense, but does not address one of the central issues: the counselors involved are already registered. One through a local unit, one through the local council (this one is also dual-registered with a local unit).

The non-registered counselors aren't a big issue - I guess I was just trying to present that perspective, too.

As far as what is the "most effective" way to re-register counselors, I like the way ljnrsu's council handles it. It's easier for counselors, fewer 5-page application forms that BSA has to pay for, less waste (a scout is thrifty), and I would bet less work for all concerned.

Now, where is the National policy?

Last time I looked there was a Dean of Merit Badge for each District; they are to approved each merit badge counselor in the District. On approval, the Dean is to send a letter to the Counselor . They are require to keep the Counselor list up todate. The Dean comes under the Advancement Chair for the District. As for Council MB Counselors, they are approved by the Council Advancement Committee.

The Advancement Committee Recruit and train an adequate group of Merit badge counselors. Publish a current list of MB Counselors. Units need to submit any MB counselors to the Dean of MB. All MB Counselors need to fill out an adult leader application ,(42).