Squirt Guns and G2SS Gray Areas

The issue is really about safety vs. ethics. G2SS should only cover safety issues, leave the ethics to other documents.

I think we are in pretty good agreement that laser tag and even paintball has a pretty good safety record and really doesn't belong in G2SS.

If BSA has a problem (ethically) with pointing devices that resemble firearms at each other, or have a problem with the activity of simulated combat, then write a policy specifically against it but leave it out of G2SS.

If BSA wants to use G2SS as the bible for acceptable outtings, then rename it Guide to Safe and Ethical Scouting.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G2SS does not specifically rule out watergun; as a result, our Pack holds a "waterblast" every year on a weekend right after our first pack meeting in the fall. This where everyone brings his/her own watergun and goes at it! We would have the local firetruck there to teach everyone about fire safety with a parting shot from their main water gun. It was great, especially under the 95 degrees heat! All of the boys and their siblings love it!

1Hour

This is truly hilarious! There must be something of greater importance that we could discuss, such as whether all buildings in Scout camps should be painted brown or dark green. :)

Oh goody, I'll play

Red door is fine, but the ONLY choice for camp buildings is green building/brown roof (even though it is not specifically written down anywhere, or in BOLD).

I cannot even begin to imagine the anarchy that would ensue if the colors were reversed.

OK, my afternoon fun is over.

A green roof would blend better with the trees than a brown roof and a brown building would blend better with the ground than a green building would. And a bright red door to finish!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

In keeping with Philmont's "Red Roof Inn's", perhaps the roofs should be RED.

While I agree that we could argue about something with more point to it, the initial question was asked in all sincerity, and should be answered with respect. I don't know the answer. I know there are many things that are done that aren't specifically disallowed in the G2SS, but they still aren't smart to do.

We make catapults & the boys get to sling water at the leaders of their choice. I don't have a problem with this. It encourages them to make sure their lashings are good! ;) I don't think I'd have even questioned it would be okay to use squirt guns.

What is the G2SS's intent? To stop anything which might remotely promote something dangerous? How can it stop things they haven't even thought of? Is it being subversive to use squirt guns just because they aren't specifically disallowed? CHILL! Go paint an outhouse.

My take on it has always been intent... When you are shot with a paint ball or laser, "your dead". When you get shot with a squirt gun "your wet"... Can't say this is spelled out in the G2SS, but I never thought to question it before.

The G2SS states "Pointing any type of firearm (including paintball, dye, or lasers) at any individual is unauthorized."

Definition of firearm

A weapon, especially a pistol or rifle, capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.

So by definition, squirt guns or super soakers aren't firearms! So have at it!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

We have done mirror battles, combined with capture the flag. Each scout is issued a 4" round mirror. Deflecting a sun beam that shines into the eyes of an opponent, renders the opponent incapicitated (dead) for a long count before they can reenter the game. A 'hit' is easily identified by the immediate wince and squint facial expression, so its very hard to cheat. Disagreements can usually be settled by a duel at 20 paces...very entertaining.

I suppose a sunbeam is not a laser, and a mirror is not a weapon-like implement. So we should be okay as best as I can tell. Plus its some of the cheapest fun a group of boys can have.

I dunno... it is a gray area.

I like the point about "laser tag" I'll have to remember that.

Remember also that what is an "air rifle" to scout leaders is a "toy BB gun" to lots of parents.

Oh... and as for the red door... "I see a red door and I want it painted black..."