Being home sick for 2 days (bad back), I have been surfing a lot. I have come across this program in two different Councils (Texas and Utah), using the same requirements and "Quality Leader" emblems (worn in place of or in addition to the "Trained" strip). It appears to be administered by the Commissioner Corps. Since this is in more than one council, is it a National program? I'm just amazed I've never seen nor heard of it before...it is not used in my Council, but I just may suggest it. Is anyone else familiar with this program? The requirements seem pretty rigorous.

http://www.longhorndistrict.org/training/qualityleader.htm

(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

I've never seen this, either. I just tried Googling for it, with questionable results. Other than a handful of BSA COUNCIL websites, the hits seem to be personal ones. There was one that appeared to be Girl Scouts, but the link didn't work. I certainly did not see any "hits" from BSA national.

Do BSA Councils have the leeway to create "official" awards that can be worn on the uniform as insignia (temporary or otherwise)?

"Do BSA Councils have the leeway to create "official" awards that can be worn on the uniform as insignia (temporary or otherwise)?"

Excellent question, and I'd love to hear an answer to this one. May our commissioner staff create an award such as the one mentioned, and so long as it meets the patch criteria (I know our day camp and camporee patches have to have certain elements included in them), go ahead with it without going against a uniforming/recognition policy? Our commissioner staff is trying to find ways to build up leadership in general, and this seems to be a way to do that.

Items other than temp patches that are worn on the official uniform are the property of the BSA and need to be approved by the National Council.

If you can't find it in the Insignia Guide or other Official BSA publication it's not official.

Does everyone follow the rules?

There'a enough there for a 20 page thread!!

Eamonn

Since I found the same program (and patches) independently in two different councils, I thought maybe it was one of those programs that was recognized nationally but not adopted universally, (such as Mic-O-Say...which I had never heard of until reading this forum).

Well, I suppose another patch for recognition of a leaders commitment to scouting isnt a bad thing, but I cant help thinking that there are several existing awards that have insignia that are worn on the uniform and do we as scouters really need yet another?

If my service to scouting were to be recognized and rewarded by the troop I serve in, I would be thrilled to no end by having all the scouts in the troop in full uniform as my reward.

I hope to earn the SM knot and the Scouters Training key someday, but I am not presently wearing the CS knot I was awarded as a DL.

I received plenty of ribbons in the military that were pretty much "been there, done that" medals.

The only military award I really care about still is the USN/USMC Combat action ribbon I was awarded,and it does not have a medal, just a ribbon.

What I'm saying is that dont go over the top in getting too much on a uniform, a little goes a long ways. The green square knot and the green and white square knot are my only present goals.

"... I cant help thinking that there are several existing awards that have insignia that are worn on the uniform and do we as scouters really need yet another?"

Precisely why our national org does not encourage redundant awards invented by local councils.