Why would a woman want to be a Scoutmaster?

Sometimes, as a male, I ask myself why would anyone want to be a Scoutmaster!

Scouting has changed and I leave it to others to debate whether it is for the better or not. One of the methods of Scouting used to be adult male association, now it is adult association. Was this done out of necessity or as an improvement to the program?

I've known rotten male Scoutmasters and excellent female Scoutmasters. For the LDS folks, Scouting is the church's youth program for males and thus have male leaders. What is the primary function of a SM? To teach leadership in my book. Females may fulfill that role quite nicely. Now, should the SM be someone the boys emulate? In a way yes. The SM should have impeccable character (but none of us do!). Do boys emulate adult males more easily than adult females? Yes. A similar argument can be made for a predominantly black troop, should the SM be black? Maybe "should" isn't the right term but I think it would be a plus, all other things being equal. So the same goes for gender. Everything else being equal, yes, a male SM is preferable but obviously not required. (I seem to be parroting Barry, again!)

I don't particularly want to be an SM. My reasons have nothing to do with my gender though. It's just that I think there are other people in the unit who are better situated to do the job. They have better outdoor skill and experience than I do and they're also good with the boys, so why would I want to prevent them? (I've also met some male SMs who don't seem to possess these traits and yeah, I think their troops would be far better served by a female SM who has the relevant skills than with a male SM who doesn't - if those are the choices.)

Most of the women I've met who are involved in scouting longer term seem to share some characteristics.

1) We aren't afraid of a little dirt, enjoy being outside, and either already have or are willing to learn the necessary outdoor skills at least at a basic level;

2) We're passionate about raising good, strong young men of character; and

3) We've developed a rather thick skin to questions like this one.

Lisa'bob

One of the best Scoutmaster's I've ever met was a woman. She was tough but fair, loved kids, loved camping and had outdoor skills to rival any man. She was a single Mom with one son. As I recall she stepped in when there were no qualified men in the troop. My boys loved her.

firecrafter