Top 3 Scouting Experiences

Wow this is hard.

1/ Queens Scout service at Saint George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

2/ 1975 World Jamboree.

3/ Next weeks Sea Scout Bridge of Honor.

(At my age you have to have something to look forward too!!)

Eamonn

Hey Hops your in the top ten.

Wow hard list!

1. Philmont 75 completing Kit Carson Man program (last year before it became Rayado Man), which included a 1-day gut-buster from Dan Beard (at the northern tip) to Line Camp (below Abreau on the southern border).

2. OA Vigil Honor 76

3. #1 sons Eagle 05

Runners up:

- Watching #1 son excel as Crew Chief at Philmont in 04 after struggling in same job at BWCA in 03.

- Working with a lad for several years who was straying into serious trouble, convincing him to strive for his last leadership position, observing a miraculous change as he blossomed, and speaking at his Eagle CoH.

- The occasional hallelujah when that young man youve worked with since he bridged is serving in his first POR and the leadership light comes on in his eyes.

Looking forward to:

- More of the same with sons #2 & 3!

- And maybe more after that!!

Thanks for bringing back the memories!

-mike

#1 My son's Eagle Court of Honor

#2 Serving as an advisor at Philmont for a crew made up of Scout's all from my Troop

#3 Serving as Scoutmaster for 1997 National Jamboree. This also included my most terrifying moment as a Scoutmaster, but that's a story for a different day.

Wow, tough question. I cannot come up with just three, but I'll try. I'll limit it to my own Scouting experiences. As I get to go throught it all again with my own son, I have so many more. I can't compare the two very easily.

1) Philmont, Philmont, Philmont... I was fortunate to go three times as a scout or young adult. There are so many stories and experiences. I grew up more on the trails there than in any other 30 days of my life.

2) Summer Camp staff. 3 years. It was a blast and I still enjoy running into my old staff buddies from time to time.

3) My Eagle Project. I learned more about leadership doing this than in any POR. What a great experience. I took my son (Life Scout) over to see it last fall. I'm trying to give him some motivation.

A little spin on things now...

Youth:

#3 Philmont - Summer of 1980. Spent my 14th Birthday at basecamp.

#2 Eagle - Nov 1981

#1 Becoming Vigil at 17 - Summer of 1984

Runner ups - Elected Lodge Vice Chief 1983, Summer Camp Staff Summer 84, My first Boy Scout camp out at Mammoth Cave May of 1977

Adult

#3 Working Summer Camp as Aquatics Director in 2004 - Mean Old Guy rules the pool!

#2 Celebrating my 37th birthday on top of Mt Baldy in 2003

#1 Being the Advisor to the best Venturing Crew around, 2005 - present

Runner ups - NOAC 2002, Camp SM 2002, OA Adviser to Youth Officers 2002-2004, Illini Jamborees

As a youth my 3 would be

1979 Philmont Trek

1980 Essex International Jamboree

1982 Finishing my Eagle right before my 18th birthday

runner ups The OA tapout campfires at MA-Ka-JaWan and spring stroll backpacking the Land Between the Lakes

As a Scouter

My son earning his God and Family award

Attending Wood Badge

After every district event I help plan

#1 Summer camp staff presenting me with a staff sweatshirt that says "Grizzly Staff Mom"

#2 My oldest at his Eagle ceremony charging his little brother the "New Tiger Cub" to become an Eagle Scout.

#3 Getting the phone call from Texas at 5 AM when the oldest became Western Region Chief for the OA.

#4 Being awarded the Eagle Mentor pin at an Eagle Ceremony from a young man in a different district that had adopted me as his "Scouting Mom".

So many to choose from.

#1 My first summer camp,as a new Scout at the closing campfire, it seemed like everyone earned a badge except me. I was to busy having fun, and I vowed to myself that it would never happen again.

#2 The very next year, when I was First Class, and was tapped out. I think the Chief thumped me extra hard, becouse I was grinning from ear to ear. It felt like he reached in and grabbed my heart.

3. Typing up the last of the paper work to complete my Eagle. 1 hour before I turned 18

1. Dad & Lad campout with my son when he was a Wolf.

2. Wood Badge.

3. Making a difference in a boy's life... teaching him a new skill or having fun with a new activity, and learning something about myself in the process.

In no particular order ...

1. There have been many, many, many memorable outings, but the coral reef sailing adventure at Sea Base still tops them all.

2. Seeing many deserving young men receive their Eagle Scout award.

3. After practicing on other people's kids for six years as a Boy Scout leader, getting to go back to Tiger Cubs and go through the entire program with my son. He's now a 14 year old Life Scout.

My first scout experience was before I was a Scout. I remember geting up early out of a tent on a cool morning and eating bacon and eggs cooked over a fire with my dad's troop when I was 4(he was ASM for his troop thru college and grad school).

Philmont in 1984. Every day was great despite having 2 days of rain twice there on the trail.

Trips to Gettysburg - can't wait to get my son there.

OA - was Sakima for Ordeal team.

Squeaking by a day to finish last merit badge to make Eagle.

Now as an adult,

Running son's den (Tigers to Bears and counting).

Sewing each item on my son's uniform.

Taking my son to every Council/District event that we can get to.

Two of mine go back SEVERAL YEARS. In 1964 I was part of the patrol that went to International Round Up in Vermont for Girl Scouts. Met a Scout from Denmark. We wrote for years until her death.

Them in in 1963 I went to an exchange camp in Carnation Washington.

The most recent is watching my Kevin march off with the OA group after he had been tapped out.