Our troop hasn't had a Bugler in more than a year. (Unlike Historian, say, the SPL can't appoint just anyone to be Bugler... he needs to first have the basic embouchure!)

Is playing Reveille and To the Colors a lost art? How many troops actively use Bugling in camp?

Next to women in troops, bugling was a difference that really stuck out from experience as a youth. Even among 20 troops a camporees, not a single bugler. We tried really hard to get one in our troop and we had a couple, but they were nothing like the buglers we had in the 70s. Sometimes back then, we had two at a time which can make you tingle if done well.

Yes, I'm afraid it is a lot art.

Barry

Our troop often has a bugler. At one time we had the privilige of having two. We sometimes have them at summer camp. About half the time at District events. It is awesome when there are two -- one on each side of a canyon with one answering. We also do all the flag retirements for the American Legion in our town, and always have the privilege of at least one bugler, sometimes two (have to "borrow" a friend sometimes).

Being a trumpet player, my son was very eager to become bugler for the Troop. He has been asked to play taps at a couple of District Camporees and usually is asked to play at our own camping trips. I know of only one other troop in our District that has an active bugler.

Our troop has had a bugler for the last several years. He plays at every troop meeting. It helped that we had an adult who is a spectacular musician and bugler himself. But it is pretty cool to hear these guys improve as the year goes on, and it is a sought-after position among the trumpeters in the troop. In fact my son, who is a trombone player for now, wants to start learning trumpet so that some day he can become the bugler.

Lisa'bob

Another confession. I was a bugler. I loved playing Dixieland and jazz during high school and college and never gave it up. So our troop has a bugler (boy) who is recruited by me, sometimes after I show them how it's done. A cornet works better than a trumpet if you don't have the bugle. First and third valves held down gets the correct key.

My son is the bugler in our troop. First one in many years. He even played revelle at our district Klondoree this year in 8 below zero. Needless to say, I recommended that he sleep with his bugle in his bag the night before.

I bought him a cheap bugle advertised on this site and he claims its easier to play than his $400 band trumpet. Now if I can just get him to play the rest of the calls.

Gee, I love this forum.

Not so much a lost art as a misplaced one. I played trombone and baritone in band, ended up being a drum major. Being the troop bugler came easily. The embrochure can be acquired as one desires. Now, as an adult leader, I find that I am on call for camporees and such to play bugle. I have been moved to noninate myself as Bugle MB conselor for our DIstrict. I always have boys come up and ask about the bugle (which is the one my uncle played in 19 ought 9!), so I think my example is opening new ideas to others.

I learned the usual US calls, but I also picked up some from a couple of old TV shows. "Captain Gallant of the French Foreign Legion" had a lot of pretty ones, notably the French equivalent to our 'retreat' or 'taps', and the French 'call to the colors'. Also, "Boots and Saddles" (cavalry western) taught me 'boots and saddles' and 'dismount to cover', both of which are very distinctive, but mean nothing to anyone else.

It is instructive to know that every country in the world has distinctive bugle calls, used by their own military.

Encourage your nascent buglers to reach for all 8 notes and look for opportunities to play. If you are better than fair, you can even make a little money playing for American Legion ceremonies and even local military funerals. For lack of a real human lip, they are forced to use a recording. Make yourself available and known, they will come to you. I never asked for it, but they are grateful and it is , I feel, impolite to refuse their "tip". Give it to your troop or other charity if you feel so moved.

TaTa - TaTa for now..... YiS SSScout

I was also Bugler as a Scout and I loved it (that's why I asked the question - I can't believe our troop has had so much trouble getting anyone to be Bugler!). Like packsaddle, I remember holding the mouthpiece in my armpit on cold mornings. My favorite call was "Tattoo".

And (true confession time!) like SSScout, I also played the Euphonium in HS band and also was Drum Major. Small world! My favorite piece on the field was "The Purple Carnival" by Alford and my favorite concert piece was Holst's "Second Suite".

I've totally lost my chops however. Several years ago I found my old bugle in the attic and was chagrinned to find that I could no longer play more than a few bars.

I guess we're just lucky. The troop I work with has two adults that are trumpet players / buglers - and for the past 5 or 6 years has had at least 3 scouts at a time that are buglers.

We are a large troop, and our campsite areas are spreadout - each patrol separate. The campout bugler uses reveille, assembly, tatoo and taps. The scouts know tatoo as "put out the patrol fires and get ready for bed". Other flag calls are used for flags

At our local summer camp - 3 staff buglers are used for daily flag calls. There is an old Navy bugle call book from after WWI that lists a 2nd and 3rd part for reveille, retreat and colours. Quite impressive

Interesting thread.

I have a Scout that would like to be a bugler, but the Troop has neither a history of having a bugler or, more-importantly, a bugle.

What should I be looking for and where should I be looking to acquire a bugle for the Troop?

- Oren

Scoutmaster

Oren,

I found a bugle on http://www.scoutbugle.com/BAA.htm that was surprisingly pretty good quality for the price. You can also pick them up on ebay or at local music stores. I was told by a bugler to get one with a replacable mouthpiece not one with it molded into the bugle.

Now, if the scout doesn't know how to play and noone in the troop can instruct, I suggest going to a music store and asking about a few private lessons. He shouldn't need many. Once he can hit the notes, then its just practice, practice, practice to polish his tone and skill.