Need a night game for Webelos I

A No (or low) Light Hike is always good. They don't realize just how much they can really see in the dark once their eyes get accustomed.

Night Sounds - For this you have to walk quietly so that you can hear, & identify, the night's sounds.

If it is a clear night - hike to an open (or clear raised) area & identify things in the sky (planets vs stars, satellites, Milky Way, constellations, etc)

If you want a game instead of a hike, how about Flashlight Tag?

We have a game were you use reflective tape cut in the shapes of several night animals. On a 3 by 5 card put eyes on 1 side and type of animal on the reverse. Have some one hide the cards then when its totally dark the scouts go as buddies with flashlights to find the most NIGHT EYES, reminder them to turn cards so others can find the eyes along the trail. Using a pencil and paper scouts can keep track of their animals. Everyone seemed to enjoy and felt comfortable about learning the night animals. Also we enjoy looking for spiders eyes(many different colors) in their webs(Just NO touching)using a flashlight held in center of their forehead.

Try using old cd's, they light up in the dark realy well and will even show up in moonlight without torches. Either see which team collects the most or write clues on them for a treasure hunt. We use the free ones that AOL give out.

sweetspiritpamh - That's called "Spider Sniffing"!

We traditionally take our new scouts to learn this critical scout skill on their first campout. I'm still waiting for my petition to make it a Tenderfoot requirement to be approved by the boys in Dallas.

Thanks

I used the reflective eyes on an idex card. I paid less than $2.00 for reflective tape in the automotive section at Wal-mart.

It worked great! I have one kid who is very iffy about night hiking. However all the boys were so focused on finding the eyes that any fear they had melted away. The hike was short maybe less than 1/2 mile in, on a narrow foot trail. But no one seemed to notice the darkness. Plus Webelos LOVE their flashlights and being quite as the other games require is difficult for Webelos. So this game worked well for begining night hikers.

Thanks for all the help.