I know a couple of volunteers that tried to make being a DE a second career and didn't like it. You go from worrying about program and the boys to worrying about the number of boys, number of units and how much money you need to raise.

Eagle69: "You go from worrying about program and the boys to worrying about the number of boys, number of units and how much money you need to raise."

I think that's why so many DE's fail at their jobs. If they spent more time looking at the program then the numbers would take care of them selves. (But that's another topic)

BE,

You may be interested in this approach to a career change:

"OTTAWA (Reuters) - A bored Canadian bureaucrat fed up with office drudgery is seeking C$1 million ($860,000) in donations so he can quit his job and "do something that makes a difference in my life and the lives of others."

The unnamed man, who claims to have worked for a large civil service organization for over 10 years, has set up a Web site -- saveabureaucrat.com -- on which he explains he is desperate to escape his job.

"After a while it starts to sap the energy and soul out of you and you realize that you have become a true bureaucrat ... I feel like an old curmudgeon frustrated by having to deal with paper being passed around at a snail's pace," he writes.

"Retirement will free up my time for volunteer activities such as tutoring children and counseling people who are going through rough patches in their life. On a daily basis I will be a much more pleasant person to be around," he adds.

Despite promising not to spend donations on "Rolls-Royce cars, 10 bedroom houses, airplanes," the bored civil servant has quite a way to go.

As of Wednesday morning, five sympathetic souls had sent in a total of just C$59.26."

SA