Troop Meeting Program

The troop our 10 Webelos crossed over to is adult led. I hope to help the development to boy led. I know this will take quite some time.

What I would like to survey you fleeow scouters on is the following:

1. Is your troop boy led?

2. Do you make good use of the patrol method?

3. How many boys are in your troop?

4. What has your troop meeting program been the last few months?

Thanks in advance for you responses

YIS

ronvo

Yes, 70% of the time. We still have a lot of work left to where the boys can function independently, automatically, and efficiently. We are hoping for 2/3! We can live without the efficiency part! ;)

Yes and no, we can use a lot more work in this category. Our nsp's tends to retain the patrol identity better than our older patrols. Our scouts use the patrol method; however, not fully implement the ideals of the patrol method.

Before this past cross-over, we had 52 scouts. This past February, we picked up 21 new scouts, making it 73 boys strong.

Our PLC determines the content of each troop meeting. One meeting was geared towards working on TFC requirements for our younger scouts. At the same meeting, the rest of the older scouts who were not teaching the TFC skills worked on a mb of their choice (they would invite the counselor to the meeting). One meeting was dedicated toward skills needed for the next outing. One meeting was set aside for planning for the outing, including gear inspection, meal planning, carpooling, buddy determination, campfire planning, etc. Finally, one meeting, the PLC meets to determine the activities for the next month.

The PLC meant well every time that they meet. They always have a well laid out plan for each meeting, but they never quite get the idea of time-limit or keeping to the agenda. We do revisit each meeting to let them determine what went wrong, but they end up going down the same path again at the next meeting ... we're getting there. I think!

(This message has been edited by OneHour)

For the most part our answers are in line with what OneHour gave.

Yes, but still have to gently nudge and advise more than I'd like to have to do.

They still think in terms of the troop rather than in terms of patrols. We need a lot of growth in this area. But we are headed in that direction.

19 - without a pack to provide Webelos into the troop.

Planned out last August by the PLC at the yearly program planning weekend.

September - Fishing

October - Cave Exploration

November - Climbing

December - Orienteering

January - Winter Camping

February - Space Exploration

March - Hiking

April - First Aid

May - American Heritage

June - Swimmimg

July - Canoeing

August - Wilderness Survival

"They always have a well laid out plan for each meeting, but they never quite get the idea of time-limit or keeping to the agenda." - Sounds just like us.(This message has been edited by t158sm)

1. Boy led?

A matter of opinion. The troop advertizes itself as boy led and in many respects it is. But in comparison to what some people have posted here over the last year or so that I've been reading the board, I can see other areas (planning/organizing) where it is not so much boy-led as it could be. But a matter of opinion, I say, because the prevailing view among the troop adult leadership seems to be that in those areas, the boys shouldn't be in charge. (example: CoHs tend to be adult-planned and adult-run) PLC is active though and plans/executes troop meetings and monthly camp outs.

We have a venture patrol for the older guys that does seem to follow the idea of boy-led much better than the troop as a whole, in my opinion. This is new this year; I'm hoping for a spill-over effect.

2. utilization of patrol method?

I think we do pretty well here. Permanent patrols exist and function together 99% of the time. I'd like to see us get away from appointing PLs for the NSPs (SM does this - an older scout is assigned for the year) and rely on Troop Guides more extensively instead. This year we at least have a couple of boys who are going to serve as troop guides (again selected by the SM - it would be good to get the SPL involved here I think) so I hope we're slowly moving in that direction. Change is harder for some of the adults than for the boys I think.

I'd also like to see the patrols taking more initiative to meet and do things together on their own - at least occasionally. But with the schedules some of these kids have, I guess I can see why that seldom happens.

3. troop size?

Currently 46 boys including 16 new scouts

4. program?

Most troop meetings are used (as the PLC has planned) to prep for upcoming campouts. This includes some planning and some skill-related activity. Occasionally this will include inviting special guests (adults) to do presentations but usually the boys themselves are teaching these skills.

Like the other posters, there are times when the PLC's plan doesn't quite seem to happen, which I see as part of the process of learning leadership.

Lisa'bob

It had been nearly been boy led into the ground. A new SM took the reins in February and is working w/ the PLC to give the boys a better base. The boys are still doing the leading, but with a bit more adult guidance.

No. Too few boys are active to make 1 good patrol, let alone two.

Active? 4. Registered and occassional participants? 7.

Why the difference? A lot has to do w/ boy led into the ground as mentioned in #1. Its also a troop heavy on older (14+) boys who are also active with a Ship or Crew. The Pack has 0 Webelos this year so there are no new boys coming in.

Lots of sitting around and chatting about little to do w/ scouting.

However, since the end of January this has improved. There has been a camping trip per month, the PLC is developing a plan to work towards a canoe trip (intro to backpacking, backpack cooking, day hikes, etc.). There has also been meetings devoted to preparing for the Council Scout Skills show.

YiS

Michelle

Thanks for the responses - they are really helping me see reality.

Keep'em coming.

Regarding question number 1 - Do you think our expectations are too high of the boys and we need to find the balance of boy led and adult supervised?

I mean I seldom see meetings of adults that stay on agenda and start and end on time. One hour you seem to have reached a good place.

Snowman thanks for the honesty.

I also think that the same troop at different times with different boys will do better or worse at this.

One hour - that is a BIG troop. Can a troop that large really be boy led or maybe it is actually easier with more talent?

One Hour said: At the same meeting, the rest of the older scouts who were not teaching the TFC skills worked on a mb of their choice (they would invite the counselor to the meeting). I like that idea - thanks!

Since this is a training program I think progress is the key. I am sure that even thought they may not get it exactly right now - it will help them do things better in as adults in the working world.

Has anyone seen a really great by led troop? Does it really depend on the skills of the SM - I think so.

Ronvo(This message has been edited by ronvo)

t158sm wrote

Planned out last August by the PLC at the yearly program planning weekend.

September - Fishing

October - Cave Exploration

November - Climbing

December - Orienteering

January - Winter Camping

February - Space Exploration

March - Hiking

April - First Aid

May - American Heritage

June - Swimmimg

July - Canoeing

August - Wilderness Survival

Did you do the merit badges or just activities that could be used for the badges?

"Has anyone seen a really great by led troop? Does it really depend on the skills of the SM - I think so. "

Ronvo

-----------

Well I've seen flashes of it! Admittedly I have limited experience on the troop side of things so far but it seems like the trick is to slowly extend the length of those flashes until they are nearly continuous.

Yes I think it depends a GREAT deal on the SM, as well as on the personality and maturity of the SPL. But more the SM, because s/he is in the position to teach the SPL, no matter where the SPL is starting from.

Seems like some people want to be SM because they like being in charge or being the "go to guy/gal." Seems like that's the wrong perspective for the job, if the troop is expected to make progress toward being more truly boy-led. I'd rather see the SM be someone who leads and teaches quietly and delegates well (to the boys) instead of someone who likes to be in the light him/her self.

Being SM is obviously a tough job. I admire everyone who has agreed to take on that responsibility. I wonder though, if this isn't one of those cases where the people who would be best at it are the ones who seek it the least.

Lisa'bob

Ronvo asked-

Has anyone seen a really great by led troop? Does it really depend on the skills of the SM - I think so.

I have seen a really great boy led trrop. One of my patrol advisors when I took SM Training was in a large Troop (75+). I visited them on a campout and saw this in action.

Does it depend on the skills of the SM?

I think so. This Troop always has had a great program and has been this size for over 50 years. They do it by finding and selecting the right person for SM.

Question for msnowman-

Why do you say you can't use the patrol method with only 4 boys?

It doesn't take 2 patrols to use the patrol method. It works better with more than one patrol and 6 to 8 scouts in a patrol, but it can be used with less just not as effective.

No, my son's troop is not boy led. The adults have decided that since the Scouts are so busy with other activities the Troop would be a place they didn't have make decisions and have things done for them so adult do all of the planning.

Troops is broken up into patrols and begins Troop meetings standing in patrols but that is it. No patrol competitons. Monthly outings are poorly attended with only 6 or 7 out of 30 scouts attending so patrols are never used. New SM wants to teach "self-relience". He wants every Scout to equip and supply everything himself for each camping trip. He is an Eagle Scout and feels this is missing from the BSA program and is adding it.

3. How many boys are in your troop? 25 to 30 (less than 20 active)

Troop has monthly themes, but thy don't mean much. For example, June Theme is Rock Climbing. Went on a overnight to Indoor Rock Climbing in December, which had a theme of cooking. Troop did nothing pertaining to cooking at Dec. meetings.

CNY - Since currently the 4 active boys are from two different patrols, you effectively have 2 2-boy patrols (though maybe it is 3/1...its been so long nobody really knows who is in what patrol), neither with a PL. Perhaps when troop elections come around there will be patrol realignment. These 4 boys, if they were a FT patrol could work as a unit and have some Patrol pride. For camping trips these boys do work as a virtual patrol...but I personally don't think that is necessarily good use of the patrol method (but then again, I'm still learning, I'm not the SM or a boy, so I am willing to concede I could possibly be less than correct).

YiS

Michelle

kinda-sorta. We are working really hard at it.

2. Do you use the patrol method?

see answer to 1.

We now have 12 boys! Two patrols, with 5 and 6 boys in each, plus a JASM.

4. Troop meeting program?

Working on that.

We are trying something different. We have 2 patrols, each led by an ASPL. The ASPL's and our Junior Assistant Scoutmaster form the PLC. They are responsible for planning the meetings. We are going to see how this works, and maybe, this will encourage the boy-led patrol method to work better for us.

Yes, To a great extent. I have to direct things in the background a little bit, but that (I believe) is to be expected. Especially with a new PLC.

Not nearly as well as I'd like. This is a focus for this year.

We realigned the patrols based upon there preferences. (In the past, the membership of the patrols were largely driven by the PLC and adults.) It's interesting how that this has worked out. One patrol turned out real well, while the other is a ragtag group. It's going to be interesting watching them over the coming months.

21. Two in leadership positions. Two in NSP (with hopefully a few more joining them). The other 17 are in two patrols.

February/March have been focused on basic scout skills. Kind of a refresher leading into crossover time. Next month is camping skills. May is Canoeing/Safe Trip Afloat. Some of our upcoming themes are Auto Mechanics, Forestry and Wilderness Survival.

ronvo:

You asked - "Did you do the merit badges or just activities that could be used for the badges? "

Each month the PLC plans out the following months meetings using troop program features and other materials as a guide. It gives them a good base to start with and they change the meeting plan to suit their own ideas.

Meeting and activity plans are not so much about merit badges as they are practical skills relating to the theme. The idea is to introduce the Scouts to a theme and then peak their interest into finding out more about the merit badge.

I'd say "yes,", eh? But it depends what you mean. The boys determine the calendar, events, and budget. The boys do most of the plans for campouts and meetings, but with some adult oversight or "checks." Da boys do most of the up-front leadership, but not all. I'd say they do about 50% of da "behavior management." Boys and adults share instruction roles as well, but under the boys' direction usually ("Mr. Jones, can you teach XXX at the next meeting?"). Ya need the right adults for this, eh? It tends to be much more last minute/on-the-fly than normal in the adult world.

Yah, I'd say "OK" use. Boys camp by patrol, separated from each other. They cook by patrol. They hike by patrol. T-2-1 instruction is by patrol. There are some things where they act more as a "whole troop" or they reconfigure by ability groups. This usually happens for a technical outing or skills instruction like canoein'.

Rechartered with 48. Will be up to about 60 after crossovers are done.

Mostly outdoors, though plans for snowshoein' and ice fishin' took a big hit this year because of the durn southern weather someone imported to da north, eh? Some outdoor cookin'. Some orienteerin'. Some first aid. A fair number of patrol contests. Mostly, they plan meetings as fun prep/training/instruction prior to a weekend outing. Meetings are conducted in patrols, with the PL/APL leading instruction and activities most of the time.

5. Do you think our expectations are too high of the boys and we need to find the balance of boy led and adult supervised?

I think you have to adjust your expectations to the skills and ability of da boys, eh? Same with the adults, eh? Ya can't expect an adult who has never backpacked to lead a backpacking trip; same with da boys. The amount of adult support we provide has to change according to the needs of the boys we have. Youth Leader Training gets adjusted a lot from year to year to meet the needs of specific groups of kids comin' through.

1. quarterley plan and nightly meetings = pretty much. Otherwise = no

2. Yes. Every activity bar some games is in Patrols. They have never camped and eaten as a Troop.

3. 17 (2 big patrols as we loose several over ageing this year)

4. mountain bike ride, games, badge work, ceremonies, flood awareness, stalking, (one camp flooded out) Patrol activities this weekend (1 x video and cooking, 1 x bike hike)