I think there should be a new adult position in scouting "District Service Commissioner" The job would have three main functions.

1. Encourage units to do more service projects. Some things to accomplish this would be visiting units to help them think of things to do and coming up awards for both scouts and units for reaching a certian number of service hours.

2. Act as a liassion between scouting and non scouting groups.

3. Public relations of work done by scouts.

I am interested in what others think of my idea

asm206,

I respect your thought, but these responsibilities are covered elsewhere already.

1) This should already be happening within the Troop program using requirements needed for Star, Life, and Eagle ranks. Troops also should have traditional service projects already going (we do anyway). So, instead of asking that they "do more", Troops that have no traditional service projects need to "start". Again, that's a Troop's responsibility, and the last thing a troop needs is another official "advising" that they "do more".

2) Troops can mingle with non scout groups if an opportunity arises, but if you have a "full" program for the Troop and Patrols, my question is, "why"?

3) That's already handled on the unit, district, and council levels. If you want public relations for something, you have to go out there and do it.

BSA can reduce positions that aren't useful or being utilized fully. BSA doesn't need to add another position that "someone" needs to recruit for and train. There's plenty of positions across the board that are empty. Let's fill them first (or get rid of them).

sst3rd

As addressed above these are addressed by other things already

1. Each troop should have a O/A Troop Rep that encourages the scouts to participate in service projects and to do ongoing ones

2. Concerning Pubic Relations the District has a committee that touches out to the public. Also each troop should have a Membership Coordinator that can also touch and reach out to little kids.