The previous thread about when to salute the flag reminds me of a recent and heartwarming experience that I had. Our Pack has just gone through it's Blue and Gold Dinner, and a wonderful time was had by all. While cleaning up at one point, there was a lot of activity at the front of the gym where the flags were posted. At one point a small child knocked over a gym pad that careened into the US flag.

My back was to it at the time, but out of the corner of my eye I saw the flag teeter and begin it's descent to the floor. Even though it was in a heavy flag base, it was on it's way! I began to turn around, knowing that I would probobly not be able to salvage it when I heard the voice of one of the WEBELOS who had just bridged over. This young lad had had a hard time of it emotionally over the several years that he had been a cub scout. He was not on the honor roll, didn't excel at sports, and did not seem to have too many friends. He kept showing up for meetings though.

Anyway, I heard him yell "save the flag" just as I turned to see him move like a flash of lightning toward the downward accelerating flag. He scooped it up gracefully before it ended up nose down on the canvas and saved it's honor. Not even the gold tassel brushed the gym's maple floor. He cheerfully explained to the child that you must be careful about such things and, like William Boyce's guide in the fog, he was off to modestly go about his business.

I couldn't have been prouder than at that moment. It demonstrated to me the power in this great movement called scouting.