Need recruitment ideas

Other than going to schools, do any of you have any creative ways to recruit boys? I keep talking about it at our committee/leader meetings, but unless I come up with something to put on the table as to HOW, I can't really say too much. We are in desperate need of more boys and more leadership. We're a Cub Scout Pack with no Bear den, and no leader to run it even if we did get boys. I would possibly end up leading it till we found someone, but first we need to boys to join.

We need to get creative.....any ideas?????

~~Amy~~

Of course now is not a great time to recruit, but you could certainly start making plans for a whiz-bang recruitment in the fall. These guys would be starting Webelos, which is a great time to go after the more adventure-seeking young men. Hit up your 4th graders on camping and hiking with the promise of even more exciting things to come in Boy Scouts.

I'd try to do something special with them. We were able to get a booth set up during the open house at the beginning of the school year. We brought a bunch of cool stuff that attracted them (model rockets, PWD cars, pictures of campouts, etc.). If you have the space, setting up a tent would be an attention getter.

Amy:

Here are just a few suggestions that come to mind.

Ask your current Scouts to bring a friend. Don't make this a recruitment invitation per say, just something like an invite for pizza, ice cream and games. If they have fun they may want more, then recruit them.

Put your pack out in the public. Have a booth at a community event, festival or fair. Get yourself exposure in the local papers - - Pack *** of ******* recently did so and so or went on an exciting adventure to wherever. Anyone interested in more information or joining may visit a meeting at day, place and time or contact us at ********.

Set up a pack open house at the local mall.

Try to do opening flag ceremonies at baseball, football or other sports games.

Have a meeting outdoors - try the park or elsewhere.

Ask to be involved in reciting the pledge at different churches - have a few lines about Scouts in the church bulletins.

Do service projects for the community - be seen in public. A parent or someone else may see you and say "I bet Joey would like that."

Be creative - find ways to get where the kids are, don't make them hunt you, show them where you are.

O.K. just a few ideas, hope they help.

You don't mention if there are other local Packs that you are competing with for membership..but what about going to all local churchs and just asking if you can put general information about Cub Scouting there and include a list of all the local Packs along with contact numbers for those Pack? Then later in the summer ask if you can either come and do a presentation during a service or at least put a notice in their Sunday bulletins. I've had parents inquire on Scout Sundays because of our presence at the services..there are often parents who would like their sons to get involved in Scouting but have no idea of where to look for troops and Packs.

Start now..get the boys out there doing community service projects like someone else mentioned and get them noticed. If you have a sister Scout Troop, perhaps they could work on projects together. Recruiting in schools is getting tougher and tougher...many areas no longer permit classroom to classroom recruiting so all you're allowed to do is set up a table on back to school night

Good ideas so far, thanks

t158sm, What do you mean by "Set up a pack open house at the local mall" Would that just be setting up a booth or do you have other ideas for an "open house"?

Yes we do have other packs in the same town, different areas, I think when we pass out info at schools it includes them as well.

Is your pack busy during the summer? That's when we do a lot of our REALLY fun stuff! Certainly have the boys invite a friend when practical. To wind up the summer, we usually have a fun night...go to a local park, cook hotdogs, and play fun games -- obstacle courses, water balloon volleyball, things like that. For this one, we strongly encourage boys to bring a friend. We also announce it in our local paper...depending on town size, this may not be advisable. We recruit a lot of boys at this. Sometimes they are just riding their bicycle past and ask if they can stay and play...then end up joining!

That sounds cool! I have asked that boys invite a buddy tomorrow night to our den meeting, all the dens meet on the same night/ same place and tomorrow I'm having a pizza party/game night with my den and have included the other dens. I have games that earn belt loops along with a few others...this way the boys who need Chess or Marbles can earn those and those who don't need them can play connect 4, "giant checkers", I spy etc. I thought of the bring a buddy at the last minute though so I don't know if we'll get anyone, but many den meetings would work well if a boy brought a friend.

Ask your council it they have the materials for the "My Best Friend is a Scout" recruitment. It is rather like bring a friend, but there are invitations, follow-up postcards & other things. Some areas have had great response with it.

If you are active during the summer you can hold a recruitment drive at the end of the school year (May in most areas). All of the boys signed up (even Tigers) can attend Day Camp, Council Summer Camp & all of your summer activities. If you have a good Day Camp Director have them attend (in costume if possible) with brochures for all of the camps. Have a poster board with pictures of your Pack activities.

I once saw a Pack conduct its PWD out in the open area of a shopping mall (inside, not out in the parking lot). I think the mall was hoping it would draw traffic as much as the Pack was hoping it would draw curious boys into Cub Scouting.

Of course, this mall was down on its luck and so doesn't get a lot of foot traffic to begin with, but it was an interesting approach.

I never found out if any boys joined the Pack as a result of seeing the excitement of a PWD live and in person, but I give the Pack leadership points for creativity.

Cubleader6 asked -

"t158sm, What do you mean by "Set up a pack open house at the local mall" Would that just be setting up a booth or do you have other ideas for an "open house"?

No this would be more than just a booth. If a local mall will permit set up several stations showing different Cub Scout activities. Have an area with pictures of past activities, as well as Cubs who can are there to say - "Oh, that's when we when to *****, We had a great time." Don't coach them on this, just let them say it in their own words.

Have information on future activities and someone to talk about that as well.

Do or show whatever cames to mind. Be creative.

Our Pack seems to have better recruitment in the Spring, than in the Fall, but we still do both. When new scouts sign up at the May Round-up, they are given a schedule of our Pack's summer events (we plan one for each month) as well as council sponsored activities. Since the new scouts get to experience really fun activities all summer, they are definitely "hooked" by the time the school year starts back up.

Also, when boys sign up in the Spring, they have all summer to work on rank advancement and belt loops. This means that the new scouts are no longer left out when "old" scouts get awards at the September Pack Meeting.

Another benefit to Spring recruitment, is that we have found an easier time getting a parent to volunteer as den leader since they've been involved with scouting for a few months already.