At a recent CoH, someone mentioned to me the idea of having annual troop pictures. Sort of like picture day at school. We'd have everyone in full uniform, in front of the church maybe, with a professional photographer (or maybe just a very good parent) behind the lens. The 8x10 glossys would be available to all parents and would make a nice memory wall in the meeting room.

Do any other units do this?

Why not? The Troop always has the summer camp unit picture up in the Church, why not have a professional photographer do the troop and individual shots, I know my son has plenty of pictures taken when he wa in soccer and little league. Why not have a trading card of your boy in uniform, a button of your tyke with an OA sash on, sounds like a neat deal

Our troop takes two annual photos that are mounted and displayed at our CO. One is at Summer Camp, all of the guys and adults wearing the summer camp t-shirt lined up in front of the camp sign. The other is done in February, in conjunction with our annual uniform inspection. All of the guys are in full class-A uniform and look their best.

In both cases, we give a 5x7 to each scout in the photo.

We've tried this a few times with both the Pack and Troop with lest then steller results. What most parents seem to want is action photos. We put up dozens of pictures on the troop website for parents to download, put up pics on our troop board at the church, and both the Pack and Troop put out a yearly CD of pics for a $2 fee which the parents of both groups really enjoy. Additionally, every three months we do a 15 min. slide show of campouts/events to show boys what fun they had (or what they missed) as a way of getting them fired up for future campouts/events.

Our Pack had a professional photo taken of all the Scouts and leaders (on bleachers), then each den had a Den photo taken. It was actually very successful in our Pack. Parents loved the pictures, they were well-done, great to have full Pack plus Den photos. The photographer had package deals (very reasonable, compared to sports and school pictures) for purchase.

This was done for the first time in our Pack under old leaders two years ago. With changing of the guard, we did not do it last year. Parents missed it. We ended up doing a well-intentioned Den picture in full uniforms, but it wasn't the same.

This year we have a photographer mother in our den, and she's going to cover the photography electives (Bear) plus take a professional photo of our boys.

clydesdale115

Our Pack brings in a photographer during our Blue and Gold Banquet. We don't do a whole Pack picture, but have the dens go one at a time for their den picture (and individuals for those who want them).

My older son's troop doesn't do this, but I would definitely buy a picture each year, if they did.