Medal of Honor with Crossed Palms

Just last week we held our annual council dinner. It was a great time and our 16 new Silver Beaver's were given the recognition due them. But there was a part of the dinner that was far more exciting to me.

Our council had a young man, Ben Silverwood, who was awarded the Medal of Honor with Crossed Palms. That is the heroism award at great risk to own life. I suggest that you read about how he save his entire family last June as their catamaran hit a reef off the cost of Tahiti.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20060129-9999-1c29medal.html for the brief story or http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20051218-9999-lz1c18wreck.html for the full story.

Just hearing the story being told made me proud to be a Scouter. To know that I am a part of an organization that helps boys to become this type of man makes me tingle inside. We took my son to the dinner, because on of the SB recipients was a friend of ours, but I was so glad that he was there to hear this story of a young man just 3 years older than he is.

Yesterday, the Silverwoods were on the Roger Hedgecock show. Here is the interview to listen to.

http://rogerhedgecock.com/content/blogcategory/10/26/

The entire 3 hour program was broadcast from a local hotel, where we had some of the Norman Rockwell and other Scouting art on display. It was great publicity, the phones were ringing off the hook at the council office with people who wanted to sign up their kids or volunteer them.

Enjoy

I also have had the honor to see a boy recieve the Medal of Honor with Crossed Palms. He earned it while attending the National Jamboree. He was one of the Alaskan troop members who had lost their leaders in the tragic accedent. He was awarded it in front of the entire Jamboree. It was indeed a great experence and one day and hope to recieve it one day for saving a life.

J.Habbershaw Troop 129

Thanks for posting that item, Chaplain. I especially enjoyed the interview with Roger Hedgecock.

A real story of heroism in a 16 year old that has great application for Sea Scouting.

"I also have had the honor to see a boy recieve the Medal of Honor with Crossed Palms. He earned it while attending the National Jamboree. He was one of the Alaskan troop members who had lost their leaders in the tragic accedent. He was awarded it in front of the entire Jamboree. It was indeed a great experence and one day and hope to recieve it one day for saving a life."

What did he do to earn the award?

(I heard about the accident and know people died. Just curious what it was that the Scout did.)

I couldnt hear all of the ceromony, I had the cheap seats. But he attempted to save their lives w/ first aid., The whole week there was talk about the scouters and scouts from Alaska, and how that had happned. But he attempeted to save them.