Youth members at troop committee meetings

Is it ever proper for a member or members of the youth leadership (Troop PLC - not talking Cub Scouts) to attend a committee meeting? I don't have my committee guidebook with me and I don't remember reading a rule.

I've heard arguments on both sides - some say flat out "no" youth in these meetings while others believe a delegate from the PLC should really attend every one.

Could the answer lie somewhere in middle? I like the idea of having the PLC aware of what the committee is working on but understand that occasionally there might be sensitive discussions that need to remain at the adult level.

Your thoughts o' wise ones?

(I'm probably not an o'wise one, though I do occassionally convince Nephew that I am).

This is in the Cub Scout topic area but it almost sounds like you are asking about Troop committee meetings, but regardless I'll give you what our Pack and Troop both do.

As far as the Pack goes, this came up last month at our meeting as we have some new leadership with the new charter year. I asked the question of whether it would be appropriate for our Den Chiefs to attend the Pack Committee meeting to see how leadership for the Pack works. The answer from our CC & CM, as well as the parents who attended (woohoo, we had 2 parents come, first time ever) was that it would be a wonderful idea for them to get another view of leadership and the planning that goes into the things that they see happening. Besides, as DC's they help conduct the program, they should have a say in what gets planned (this is our small Pack, YMMV).

The Troop includes the SPL in committee meetings, though I'm reasonably certain other youth members would not be turned away or forbidden to be present.

For both, if there is an "executive session" we seperate ourselves from the youth. There are times that things shouldn't be discussed in an open forum with youth members present. Specific examples that I can think of would include discpline of either an adult member or another youth member. Unless you are the youth in question (or the injured party perhaps) you have no business in that discussion.

This is also how our local schoolboard handles their meetings. While Schoolboard meetings are open to the public anyway, they do have 2 youth delegates from the High School sit in on their meetings, except for the aforementioned private sessions.

It works here.

YiS

Michelle

Boy leaders have plenty to do in their troop with their patrols, their troop meetings, and their patrol leaders' council meetings. They really don't have time to sit through an adult committee meeting, and there really is no purpose.

The Scoutmaster attends the adult committee meeting to report on the doings of the troop and to speak for the PLC about the troop needs. If the committee has concerns, comments, or objections with any part of the PLC program plans, they make them known to the Scoutmaster who then brings them back to the boy leaders at the PLC meeting.

There is no rule barring boys from attending. But you will find nothing in the SM Handbook, Troop Committee Guidebook, or SPL Handbook that says boys should be attending the meeting of the adult committee.

Our troop operates much the same way as does FScouter's, but with some minor adjustments.

The senior patrol leader attends occasionally (once, twice a year or so) to present the troop program for the coming year or also to present (request) any special needs the patrol leader's council may find they need to inform the committee about.

Other than that the Scoutmaster (me) serves as the go-between for the two.

Our current troop does not have the SPL present for troop committee meetings. We have not been there a year yet, so I can't say that he never attends. In our previous troop, the SPL (my son) attended the troop committee meeting each month. There was only one time he was asked to leave the room while a "boy" problem was discussed. The CC and SM both wanted him there to report for and represent the boys along with the SM. The only harm that I could see that it did was take away about 2 hours out of his month that he couldn't be on the phone or computer.

Our SPL (and sometimes ASPL) occasionally attends part of the committee meeting. Usually it's at the beginning, and it's just to review any questions about the upcoming schedule.

In one of the Boy Scout training videos - I believe it's Fast Start - it actually shows the SM and SPL attending the committee meeting to represent the program side of the discussion.

Our Troop committee meetings are held at the same time as the scouts meet, so the SPL/ASPL are busy running things there.

Otherwise, I agree with FScouter in that there is no pupose for youth to be attending the committee meeting. I find them long and boring myself - I can't imagine a boy having to sit through one.

Generally speaking, our SPL does not attend committee meetings as the SM relays the PLC's wishes & concerns to the adult leaders. Any scout is welcome to address the committee by requesting to the CC that he be put on the agenda. The SPL or Guide typically asks to sit in several times a year for various reasons. We also exclude scouts from any sensitive or personal discussion.

firecrafter