New Help - Authorization Form

Whenever our scoutmaster cannot make a troop meeting because of work, illness etc. a particular ASM steps in and pushes his weight around to guide the troop mtg......we try to have a boy run troop............This ASM can be very arrogant to the boys and therefore the boys don't care that much for him........This is the only time the ASM "runs" things is when the scoutmaster cannot make the meeting..........When the scoutmaster is there he is rather quiet and does not say much...

By the way this ASM was the SM in our troop about 4 years ago left scouting for a while and then came back

Our SM now wants an authorization form drawn up to appoint another ASM to run things in his stead.........it will be signed so this other ASM knows who the SM wants to run things...............this authorization will be distributed to EVERYONE connected with our troop so that we are all on the same page.........any ideas on where i can get such an authorization or if i draw it up myself what should be contained in it?

Thank you

Why all the documentation and leagality? To me its up to the SM who he wants to run things in his absence. Have the stones to say "I won't be here next week, and Bill is running the meeting." If the offending ASM doesn't like it, too bad! I think authorizations and such are way overboard.

IMO, I think that the better approach would be for all the adult leaders to sit down and discuss this situation with the ASM and present a united front that his behavior is not only setting a poor example for the boys, but is also causing confusion with them. Make it clear that you all stand behind and support the SM's position on how he wants the troop run since it is HIS ultimate responsibility (if you will) to run the program and that he is overstepping the SM. The SM himself should probably be the one to address the situation though...

Sue M.

I'd suggest you ask the SM to give his assistants a copy of the written troop meeting plan that the PLC has prepared. I'm guessing that if there is no advance written plan, the assistant SM feels the need to step in and take charge.

If you have to draw up a form and have signatures to assign roles in the absence of the SM you have bigger problems than any form will fix.

It should take no more than a phone call or statement to a specific ASM,"Hey, I can't make it to the next meeting. Do you mind acting as SM for the night/outing/whatever." If needed a specific announcement can be made as eagle90 suggested. If the offending ASM doesn't get the message, the SM should have a cup of coffee with him and lay out ground rules for when he is not there. If the offending ASM still doesn't get it, he may need a cup of coffee with the Troop committee as they suggest he find a way to support scouting, other than being an ASM in the unit.

My 2 cents.

SA

Wow, this is really some great feedback from the responders to this post.....

I am going to pass this on to our scoutmaster in hopes that he will follow suit and take a more diplomatic approach.......rather than get into a "paper fight". Thank you all very much!

Right on, t158sm!!!

If this ASM is running over the SPL, then he needs to be reigned in big time. It sounds like this ASM harbors resentment for giving up the SM position years ago and enjoys exerting his 'authority' again, whenever he gets the chance. He is hanging around for himself, not the boys. Head Case!

I hadn't read this post before now, I assumed it had to do with filling out some form with council or something. Wow, I think we've got problems with the adults not accepting the concept of a boy-run program.

I remember when we first started our troop, I was always concerned if I had to miss. In fact, I did everything I could not to miss because the meetings could not go on without me. Of course, back then our young guys didn't know how to lead anything.

Now, if I'm not going to be at the meeting, I make sure the SPL knows. I usually try to remember to tell the ASMs as well. But, I've been known to remember at the last minute and call them only to say "the SPLs got it under control".... Gotta admit, this past year we've become very boy run, and I truly feel like the laziest guy in the troop. I know I do a lot of things behind the scenes, but the boys are making it happen when it counts.

Anyway, I haven't given you much advice other than work on your adult leaders and get them to understand what a boy-run unit looks like.