Beginner Compass Game

Several years ago, BSA used to sell a Beginner Compass Game. This game was not the same as the currently available Compass Game. While the latter tests both bearings and distances in a 100' x 100' course, using markers placed along the southern boundary, the Beginner Compass Game only tested the ability to follow correct bearings between preset markers placed around a circle.

My problem is that although I have all the course cards and the answer sheet (laminated even!) I somehow lost the sheet showing the layout of the markers on the circle the last time I moved.

Is there a chance that one of you out there still has a copy of this game who could scan the layout and answer sheets and e-mail them to me?

Thanks

Here's a fun compass game we used a year ago with young Scouts:

Mt. Rainier National Park has a trail that run all the way around it, the "Wonderland Trail."

As the adult leader, I supplied a map of Mt. Rainier National Park that had the Wonderland Trail marked on it.

I then posted a picture of the mountain in the troop meeting room. The Scouts needed to use their compass to locate where they were on the Wonderland Trail based on their present location and bearing to the mountain summit.

This exercise was repeated several times, with the picture of the mountain being relocated each time.

They got the idea pretty quickly.

You can use pretty much any known point on a map and make your own Wonderland Trail for this exercise.

Seattle Pioneer

• 1 month later...

I attended a POW WOW this weekend. One of the sessions offered was running a Cub Scout Compass Course. We were not given any information on how to set the course up or the answer sheet. Where can I obtain them? We are taking the pack camping in a couple of weeks and we would like to use this course.

Thanks in Advance!

I have it already scanned into my computer, per a thread in one of the other forums. I have emailed it to several people. If you want a copy, pm me with your email address, & I'll get it sent pronto.

Ma Scout

Contact whoever it was at your council that was in charge of the Pow Wow. They should be able to give you the contact info for the course instructor.

If you attended the session why don't you have the info? I'm confused!

Wow! The response has been great! I sent out my scanned copies to several people. If you wanted a copy and I didn't get it to you, please pm me again. If you got several copies, I apologize. My computer was wacking out tonight! Hope it will blow up well enough to read!

Ma Scout

ScoutNut,

The instructors were a couple of Scouts. We begged to make a copy of the setup and answer sheet. We asked the Leader in charge of the POW WOW and his response was to purchase it from the Scout Shop. I looked but I could not find it in the online Scout Shop.

The last POW WOW I attended I received a notebook with handouts from all the courses and a CD. This one I received nothing. They are supposed to put everything up on the council website, but nothing to date.

Overall, I liked the POW WOW. I learned some good things with the highlight being meeting Mr. Baloo's Bugle himself Dave Lyons

I received a scanned copy of the course cards but when I print them they are a little blurry.

Thanks everyone for your help

• 1 month later...

Randall S from NH -- I received your email requesting a copy of this game...I need you to pm me with your email address, then I can send it. I cannot attach it to a pm from here.

Ma Scout