Selecting a New Committee Chair

Just had our committee chair bail on us. And right before recharter time nonetheless. I was wondering who has the authority to select a new Committee Chair? Is it only the Institution Head and Chartered Org. Rep.? Or does the committee select by vote? How about the Scoutmaster? I'm just wondering who has the final say in "hiring" a new committee chair?

The Executive Officer of your Chartered Partner (aka Institutional Head) and your Chartered Organization Representative are the DECISIONMAKERS for Committee Chairs and Program Officers (cubmaster, scoutmaster, advisor as appropriate).

Committee can nominate people to them, but they make the decision.

Program Officers are ex officio not members of the Committee. They come to the Committee with the program, so that Committee can support it.

That's policy. Now, if there's someone trained and ready to step up to the plate, you might encourage those folks to call the COR. For that matter, if you've not informed the COR of the Chairman's resignation, that would be task 1.

You should get and read Selecting Quality Leader (BSA #18-981)]

It can be found onlin a at: http://www.scouting.org/commissioners/resources/18-981.pdf

The CO does have the final say and authority of who is choosen.

However, If you CO is like most units they don't partisipate in the finding of leaders.

Your committee should select the person they fell is best for the position and ask them to take it.

Don't just take the first person who excepts the position.

Select the person who is right for the position and ask them to do it.

Tell them exactly what the position is and what is exspected of them.

When I was CC for a Pack and used this methid I had much greater success in having a better run pack. Everytime we selected the first person who agreed to do it usually ended up not doing a good job as it wasn't what they exspected or were just volenteering because they felt they has to.

I agree that selecting the best person for the job should be done by asking them in private, not by putting out a public call. When my last CC resigned, I considered the available candidates, asked the best one if he'd do the job, he agreed and then we took his name to the CO. So it was definitely the CM picking the CC, but the CO has the final say.

Oak Tree

It is best when the Scoutmaster and Committee Chair have a friendly working relationship. They need to be able to communicate openly and honestly with each other. So, get the Scoutmaster's opinion when selecting a new CC. In effect, the new CC will become the most immediate and direct supervisor of the Scoutmaster.

Have fun scouting.