Can a Scoutmaster also serve as Cubmaster at the same time?

Can someone please help me find where it states if a Scoutmaster may serve as Cubmaster at the same time within the same unit? We have a Scoutmaster that has been causing many problems and have asked that he step down but he won't and has influenced the new committee and fought to stay as Scoutmaster. I am looking to see if he has broken the BSA guidelines and Safe Scouting Laws to present to the committee. Thank you for your help.

I don't think you will find it in writing anywhere that someone cannot hold both of these positions (and they are actually separate units - cub pack and boy scout troop - not one unit). However, I personally cannot imagine doing both at the same time, let alone doing them both well. So you may have better luck framing your argument in those terms, rather than BSA regulations.

Lisa'bob

I think Lisabob is right, you won't find a written policy against serving in both positions at once. This may be because no one ever invisioned that anyone would be nuts enough to do it.

If there is any position in Scouting that should be filled by someone wearing one hat it is Scoutmaster. I have served in many Council District and Unit positions, but have declined all such positions since becoming SM. I feel any time I have to put into Scouting belongs to the boys in my Troop. Any time I put in somewhere else is stealing from them. Just my opinion

A short while after becoming Scoutmaster my DE asked me to reform the pack and to be Cubmaster. Big mistake. IMHO trying to wear both hats will take away from what a person can offer either program. The troop suffered and the pack suffered as a result. I ended up giving up the pack and letting it drop. With my attention focused on the troop, we've been able to grow and have a strong viable program.

Yes, they can. I know some who hold both positions. However, some positions, as stated in BSA literature should be your primary position. FOr example, being a Unit Commissioner should be your primary position. So should being a Scoutmaster. Therefore, some would argue that you can't be both. Well, maybe it is not a good idea, but I know many who are so yes, one can.

As far as I know one person may hold both positions.

The only prerequisite is that they have a frontal lobotomy before they sign the second application.

Seriously, I can't imagine how one person could possibly provide quality service to both units unless they had absolutely no other responsiblities in their life, like work, family, friends etc. and then I would wonder if they would be a good candidate for either position.

SA

Hi Bambi

Welcome to the forum.

I think the question about if the SM can also be the CM has been answered.

I however am a little puzzled about:

"We have a Scoutmaster that has been causing many problems and have asked that he step down but he won't and has influenced the new committee and fought to stay as Scoutmaster."

You might want to find an adult application and read it over.

I'm a little unsure as to who the "We" is?

I think you will find that in nearly all cases where the SM has the backing of the committee and the COR, trying to remove him or her is almost impossible.

Of course if there have been cases of abuse we are in a different ball field.

Even when BSA guidelines have not been followed, in most cases the worst that will happen is that the offender will be told not to do it again.

While we all have met that one person who gets on our last nerve, it's a real shame when the adults (I'm assuming that your an adult??)can't play nicely together. It not only interferes with the smooth running of the unit, but it also is a very bad example to the youth. Much as we might try and hide it, please believe me they do know.

Trying to use a rule book to solve differences is rarely a good idea. I strongly suggest that if you have a problem with the SM / CM that you sit down with him or her and look for a resolution. Look for what can be done to serve the Scouts better -Looking back rehashing old matters will get you no place fast.

Eamonn.

Thanks for the replies. One thing I don't understand though. How can they be two different units? You need a Cubmaster for the Pack and a Scoutmaster for the Troop. It is all under the same # and chartered by the same organization. Maybe I should have made that clearer in my first post. So he has control over almost the whole organization. Eamonn, I thank you and totally agree. Sometimes Adults set the poorest example. I have told them all this and that Adults should not be going and back stabbing each other to get what they want. This is all for the boys and without them there would be no Pack or Troop.

A pack and a troop are separate units. They have the same number as a convenience, and they are both sponsored by the same CO, but they are still separate units. An adult is allowed to hold a position in multiple units.

You may see it as "the whole organization", but it's really two different charters that get signed.

And at any rate, I'd like to echo Eamonn, that this isn't probably the best way to approach the problem you're having. Quoting rules, even if you find one that he has bent, isn't likely to solve anything. You may not like the fact that he has so much control, but that could be true even if you were only dealing with one unit. I'd suggest sitting down and talking about it. If the CC and the COR and the IH are supportive of the SM, there's not much more you can do anyway.

Oak Tree