Cubmaster headed for Boy Scouts in February 06...

Hey, everybody... I'm now into my 5th year of Cub Scouts (First 3 years as Tiger, Wolf & Bear den leader, and last 2 as Cubmaster, one summer as day camp program director) and in February my son, Aidan, will be crossingover into Boy Scouts, with his first campout on top of Mt. Taylor (NM) for Klondike. He's still loves the program like the first day he made me take him to a Tiger Cub roundup. I grew up on the Standing Rock Sioux reservation in Ft. Yates, ND, where I went thru most of Cub Scouts (Wolf, Bear, Lion.. I think.), but lost track when we moved off the rez, and never got into Boy Scouts. I wish it had been different, but then now I have that chance I guess. My DE is trying to convince me to take over a troop that is mostly older boys, who have not been recruiting new scouts like they should have, but I have to admit, I do like what I saw at their open house. 65 years is a long time for any troop to exist, and alot of old style boy scouts still was evident. I'm getting alot of information from these forums, and will continue to as February approaches. Wish me luck!

Wallace.

Wallace,

Find out when your district is having their Essentials, Scoutmaster/Assistant Scoutmaster specifics and Outdoor Leader training and sign up. That's the best thing you can do right now to prepare. I don't know that I would jump right into the Scoutmaster position but would try ASM first, unless there is no one else for the job. But if you have been trained, I'm sure you will do fine.

Good Luck

Thanks, ASM7... I will get the ASM training, in the very least, and won't be having to deal with the SM position for quite a while. Right now they need help in recruiting Webelos,and I have no intentions of having my son be alone in his age group. I was mentioned as a possible SM replacement from the DE, but there are other ASM's who can take point, while I get a better idea what the program entails. The AOL ceremony is the 29th of November, and that will give a few months for getting ready to crossover in February, and the Klondike towards the end of the month. Thanks, again. Wallace.

Kahits,

Sm training and ASM training are identical. As an ASM you need the same skills and knowledge as a SM. If you took New Leader Essentials in Cubbing you do not have to take it again. You will need SM/ASM Leader Specific Training and the Introduction to Outdoor Skills course. I would also recommend Youth Protection Training.

But first take everything you knew about scouting in Cub Scouts and leave it behind. Boy Scouting is very different. There is far more asking than telling in good scout leadership, and you need to guide boys in making their own decision not in following your decisions.

It is a great thing to be a good Scout leader I hope you have as much fun and satisfaction in it as some of us do.

Thanks, Bob.... I am looking forward to leaving the CS experience behind me. Having been the driving force to keep the Pack viable for the past 2 years, and this the 3rd year, February can't come soon enough. One of our den leaders volunteered for the Unit Commissioner position, so I think he is going to do fine as my CM replacement. The training will definitely work fine, and I am planning on taking Wood Badge, a year before the SM position opens up, after the ASM's who are ahead of me have had their opportunity. I have a 13 year old daughter, waiting for her 14th so she can join Venturing, so lots to look forward this next year. For now I can focus on some of the things that nobody has been making a priority, and will start with trying to get as many of my son's 4, Webelos II den mates to consider our cozy group of Scouts. W.

You have a Den Leader who has been appointed by your District as a Unit Commissioner (hopefully NOT for your unit) who is also becoming your replacement Cubmaster? This does not sound like a very good idea.

The positions of Den Leader, Unit Commissioner, & Cubmaster are all very big jobs. To have a person hold all three is just asking for none of them to be done right. Since you can not register as both a Cubmaster & Den Leader, I would suggest that your CC find someone else to fill one of those positions. Give this poor guy a break before he burns himself out.

BTW, your DE can suggest possible SM's to the Troop's CC & COR, but he has absolutely no say in who is chosen. That is up to the COR & CC.

Take the SM training, & you might also look into taking Venturing Leader Specific & Venturing YPT since your daughter wants to join a Crew in a year.

Good Luck!

(This message has been edited by ScoutNut)

I guess I have to agree with you... and yes he is the UC for our pack as well. I think it did help him to take all of the work involved more seriously, but I do think he enjoys the silver loops for what they are. How all of that will help him, once he realizes how much work it will be to do both the DL and CM positions, I can't say. I know his UC connections will help, but he will still have to do the work, and this pack has always been lite on adult leaders. Too many single moms bringing their boys to the pack for some adult male mentoring and not enough of them willing to do much more then that. It all almost went under at the end of my first year as an untrained Tiger DL (the previous pack leadership were a husband and wife that did me no favors, in hindsight.), but our DE approached me at Day camp to ask if I would be interested in keeping the pack going. I ultimately said yes, but it's been hard these past 4 years, since nobody has been willing to do more then run a den meeting, and the committee has always been weak. I did make sure we sold popcorn (the previous leadership never did..) and we got a Pack flag, new PD track, instituted den flags, and I built a bridge (Steel and wood). I won't give the bridge to the pack, but the rest they can have, since most of it was paid for thru popcorn. Yeah, I'm ready for it to end.... but Boy Scouts is going to be fun, I keep telling myself. I should have several years before having to consider taking the SM position, and I'll do the other things to recruit more boys, and get the numbers back up in the younger ages. As for Venturing, that will have to be seen. There are not many crews in this part of town, but I hear there are attempts in the works. Originally, I was going to just have my son go to one of the larger Troops in the district, but I am realizing it would have been a mistake. Too much personality and politics and not dealing very well with some of the lack of values being exhibited by some of their senior scout leadership. It does help to spend time making connections (one of their scouts is the DC for my Webelos II den) and getting the real scoop on what is happening. I won't be stepping back with this crossover, but I won't be starting a crew anytime soon. I need to find one, between now and next July. Thanks, for your advice and comments...

In addition, for whatever it is worth... our pack is small (less then 25 boys), but he and I were asked to help one of the other local packs, who's leadership left with no one to step into the positions. The DE was recommending that if they could not get new leaders to volunteer, they would start coming to our pack and den meetings, until things improved. It showed me just how much a capable UC can do to help in these situations, and how much work he has cut out for him, in this one. I plan to try and help after the crossover to try and get them some den chiefs from the troop, and to maintain a connection for recruiting for Boy Scouts. This troop is right across the street from the middle school that both packs (mine and theirs) feed into. They need to build on that connection, or at least be more visible.

Hi kahits,

Good luck to you and Aidan. Any chance you are a Rich Mullins fan?

Aidan you're young

But Aidan you're growing fast

Me and your mom

And all the love we have

We can only take you so far

As far as we can

But you'll need something more to guide your heart

As you grow into a man

Let mercy lead

Let love be the strength in your legs

And in every footprint that you leave

There'll be a drop of grace